Sick Snails With Nasty Bugs In Tank

Guest hiphoppin_ballerina

:please

Help! The tank I have currently only has apple snails. It is a 10 gallon. I have a filter and all that other stuff but haven't gotten around to testing PH levels and stuff. But I have had my snails for awhile and they have been fine. Well now, my tank is full of brown stringy stuff and these little things that look like tiny nasty bugs! They are almost microscopic. What are these little bugs and stuff??? I have tried treating the water with Ick products but the bugs keep coming back and I know that are not like little snail eggs. I want to re-introduce fish into the tank but I am afraid that even with the tank being treated, my new fish will still get sick. On top of that, my snails just layed eggs. So I would like to raise healthy snail babies. I don't want to have to get rid of my snails. Is there anything I can do to save the snails, my tank and the babies? Without spending alot of money on products for the tank? :crp

Guest PondCometer

Take the snails out..restart your tank..scrub down clean all ornaments, change filter media start from scratch your best bet if you want it totally safe IMO

:please

Help! The tank I have currently only has apple snails. It is a 10 gallon. I have a filter and all that other stuff but haven't gotten around to testing PH levels and stuff. But I have had my snails for awhile and they have been fine. Well now, my tank is full of brown stringy stuff and these little things that look like tiny nasty bugs! They are almost microscopic. What are these little bugs and stuff??? I have tried treating the water with Ick products but the bugs keep coming back and I know that are not like little snail eggs. I want to re-introduce fish into the tank but I am afraid that even with the tank being treated, my new fish will still get sick. On top of that, my snails just layed eggs. So I would like to raise healthy snail babies. I don't want to have to get rid of my snails. Is there anything I can do to save the snails, my tank and the babies? Without spending alot of money on products for the tank? :crp

what color are the bugs.... are they white or what?

How deep is your gravel?

Guest starsmom

You may want to try www.applesnail.net

There is lots of good information on apple snails there. I have never heard of the "bugs" you are talking about, maybe someone on applesnail.net has?

Laura

I really hope you get the help you need. I've never heard of those bugs either but for the sake of your snails I hope you can transfer them to another tank and clean this one out.

Robyn

Thanks for the responses I got. The bugs are kinda clear. Maybe like little parasites or something??? They float around at the top and on the sides of my tank. So should I throw out the snails and start over or can I maybe treat the water and the snails? I don't know if maybe it's not the water and it is the snails that are carrying the disease.

Guest starsmom

It may not be a "disease", it could just be some type of harmless hitchhiker that came in with the snails. I wouldn't get rid of them just yet. Maybe someone can ID them if you can give a really good description. Doesn't sound like any type of parasite I have ever heard of. I'd bet that your fish would probably eat them. Don't know if I'd chance it though until you get an ID on the critters.

Do a really good gravel vacuum for starters!

Laura

Nope there not a parasite well what i think not.

I had the same things in one of my tank.... these little bugs get borned

if you have ,more then 1 inch of gravel and don't clean it often.

Just do a good clean up,they arn't harmful to the fish and snails.

Thanks! I do have more then 1 inch of gravel. The only thing is, that there are thousands of these tiny bugs! It looks really gross in my tank. They are so tiny you have to almost get a magnifying glass to see them. They are clear/ white and have kind of like a split tail or something. Anymore info anybody? Or how can I get rid of them? My fish don't eat them.

Thanks! I will do that! So they can't harm my snails or anything? Oh, by the way, I cleaned my fish tank like 2 weeks ago and within a 2 days the little bratty buggies were back! :angry: Why?

Im not 100% sure why,but i was told that it's because of the gravel....

if theres more then 1 inch there will be bugs growing in the tank...

i guess it's because it gives more place for the good bacteria to hide...??? and they grow into those little bugs....

Just cleaning the gravel won't help, they will always come back until you

take some gravel out and clean the gravel more often....

And yes they can't harm your snails in anyway possible.

I agree with black oranda..you have to much gravel in your tank I made this mistake also..but I noticed some of your comments 1st of all your snail laided eggs that shows she is happy with your tank conditions..you have been treating this tank with meds..hmmm now they are snail killers the only med I know that is safe for snails is melafix so be real carefull with those and unless you have a second tank dont rip this one to bits or you will have to cycle it all over again and thats not good for your tank..some of these bugs can be a sign of good water conditions so if I were you I would head over to applesnail like Laura suggested and ask the folk there they love to get to the bottom of problems like this...I have read about these somewhere in there but I just cant remember sorry..hope this helps Linda

Archived