Clown Fish

shawneesgoldie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jonritteri

you can keep it in any size aquarium,it is keeping the water chemistry stable in small tanks that is hard.in 10 gallons of water things can change very fast, and if you do not catch it in time,you could have losses.if you can keep both ph and specific gravity (salinity) stable then you are ready for a small marine tank.just remember that big tanks have slower changes to water chemistry than small ones.good luck.

• 4 years later...

As a marine beginner a smaller tank isnt the best to start with. Larger the tank easier it is to care for. Salinity is very important in a saltwater tank so a hydrometer is a must. There are other pieces of equipment you will need to consider which includes a protein skimmer. Also if you do decide on clown fish then buy tank bred clownfish as due to popularity of finding nemo wild clownfish are reducing drastically in the wild.

it does not need a high gallon aquarium however if you want to keep your clow fish healthy you need to add an annemonee

What? Clowns only use anemones to host in. Clowns will only host in bubble tip, sebae, long tentacle, and carpet. They will NEVER host in a condylactis. Captive bred clowns will host in ANYTHING *that means live rock* This is because they are not from the wild and have NEVER seen an anemone. A 10g tank is way to small for an anemone.

You can have 2 clowns in a 10g tank, but 12-14 would be better. You MUST get both clowns at the same time or the clown in the tank originally will kill the new clown. When the clowns mature one will become the male and the other will become the female. The female becomes larger. If you have a pair one will become the male and the other a female.

You will need to buy roughly 6 pounds of live rock. Every gallon you want roughly a pound of live rock. *Adding lbs of rock will cause less water to be in the tank* Since you are doing a FOWLR *fish only with live rock* you can use regular fluorescent lighting. Also get a bag of live sand. You will not need a sump for this size tank, using a regular HOB filter will work great, also mentioned a protein skimmer will help dramatically.

Mentioned before you will need a hydrometer to measure the salinity, salt, spare 5 gallon bucket, and an extra heater. You will need to heat up your water before adding it to your tank since it's going directly in. I recommend only using RO water if you can get it from a local shop, won't be expensive at all to do a small water change *usually around .75 cents a gallon*

You will have an algae bloom when your tank is first cycling. Getting small snails will help with algae. Do not get turbo snails for a 10g since they are pretty large.

You could also add some small inverts if you wanted like a cleaner shrimp or feather duster.

Enjoy your tank :)

• 7 months later...

Awesome!

I doubt anyone will see this as this thread is months old, but I've been doing a lot of researching on marine tanks. I was once against them, personally, because of the maintenance they require and of how touchy they can be. But now I am thinking of converting my 10 gallon into a nano-reef tank some day and getting a couple of clown fish, probably Ocellaris as they are readily available in my area. They're so cute! I wasn't sure if I would do live rock but seeing as it helps with the water chemistry I wouldn't think of not using it. I wouldn't even know how to keep everything balanced without it.

It's just something to think about for the future.

Koko is absolutely right! Anemones require tanks with extremely stable parameters (so a 10 gal is not a good idea) and they decide where they would like to sit (they are animals and can move around) and having them walk around the tank can cause huge amounts of destruction and cause your tank to crash.

Clowns do like to "host", but it need not be an anemone. They can host in many types of coral - I've seen them use bubble coral, frogspawn, even mushrooms. I've also seen a clown host a powerhead! They are funny little fish, you can never tell what they'll pick for a home.

So true, Chloe. Most captive bred clowns cannot even distinguish an anemone as a proper venue to host so they do have that tendency to host almost anything. Someone I know found his clowns hosting a heater cord.ignore.gif

They ARE so cute! I love how they wiggle excitedly around whatever is their home. When I finally get up the nerve to set up a saltwater tank, I am for sure getting a clownfish. And maybe nothing else. Two clownfish? I don't know.

• Admin

Just be careful when cleaning around there home. Td's attacked him when he was trying to clean the tank... the clown was not happy with Td's hand next to his mushroom :lol

Archived