My Fish Have Frayed, And Bloody Sreaked Fins

David Dude

Hi, my ryukin has a bloody streak on his back fin and my common has his tail fin frayed, I wanted to know if their is any kind of medication that can help them but wont kill my cycle. Here's the details:

I have 0 amonia

0 nitrite

22 nitrate

7.2 ph

same out of the tap

I currently have them both in a 26 gal.tub

I have a penguin 330, bio-fiter for filtration

I change 25% water every Saturday

I use Wardley Chlor Out to condition my tap

I've only had those 2 fish in there for a month and a half, my ryukin is 2in. long without his tail and 3.5 with his tail, my common is 4 in. long without his tail and 5in. with his tail

I feed my fish a variety of food throughout the day, in the morning progold, in the afternoon bioblend and frozen bloodworms, and on sunday peas

other than that they're fine

Might I add that I just cycled their new home a week ago, I now how to take care of my fish properly, but this has never happened to me before, so I've never used meds.

Thank you very much, all help appreciated

usually frays and streaks are signs of ammonia poisoning. How long has your ammonia been at zero? was it higher before?

are they having any other symptoms or any wierd behavior?

I now it's not amonia poisoning because I check weekly and its been at 0 for 4 weeks,but I forgot to say that Nemo, my common, has been chasing around my female ryukin for about 2 weeks now, he has all the traits of a male accept for the white pimpels around his head

I think the white pimple things might be a sign that he wants to breed. I'm going to post a link that someone gave to me when my fish were sick, read through all the things and maybe something will help you on there; and hopefully someone else can help you out more than I can! :)

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html

I think the white pimple things might be a sign that he wants to breed. I'm going to post a link that someone gave to me when my fish were sick, read through all the things and maybe something will help you on there; and hopefully someone else can help you out more than I can! :)

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html

Thanks Grain! it was very helpful, just took me some time to read it all :lol:

i dont understand how you" just cycled the tank a week ago" but "the ammonia has been at 0 for 4 weeks". hows that possible? :blink:

it sounds to me like your goldies became stressed somehow. wether it be fluctuating params or tail biting (tail biting needs separation) or what. either way, there shouldnt be any need to medicate at this point. just keeping the water as prisine as you possibly can will often allow goldies to heal up from minor things such as this. try this before you decide to medicate. ;)

paul

i dont understand how you" just cycled the tank a week ago" but "the ammonia has been at 0 for 4 weeks". hows that possible? :blink:

it sounds to me like your goldies became stressed somehow. wether it be fluctuating params or tail biting (tail biting needs separation) or what. either way, there shouldnt be any need to medicate at this point. just keeping the water as prisine as you possibly can will often allow goldies to heal up from minor things such as this. try this before you decide to medicate. ;)

paul

Ok, hmmm let me see if you understand me this way I've had them in the rubber maid tub for about 6-7 weeks(i.e. a month and a half). It took 2 weeks for the amonia to rise and then fall down, then it took 3 weeks for the nitrite to rise and fall down, and now I've had nitrate reading for about a week and a half. If I'm wrong correct me, but isn't a tank officially cycled after you get nitrate? Also, my fish were stressed for a while when I still had ammonia. And to give you a bit more information to see if you understand as to why they're in the tub here it is. I had 2 blue orandas that I had ordered off aquarium fish.net, they gave me some details on how to care for my fish. At 1st. I had a 20 gal. but wanted to have more fish so I bought a 40gal. Once they were established in that tank (it took about 2months) I bought nemo and dorada. At that time I had had my Orandas for 4 months, 1 was 4 in. long and the other 5in. Dorada was 2 in and Nemo was 3in. The four fish were in that tank for another month but then I bought Draco, my demekin, and again decided to go bigger, a 55 this time. So write now I'm saving up money and sold all my other tanks(like 6)except for a 5gal hex. :yeah:

:D are you sure the goldfish is showing mating behaviour and not being aggressive and biting the fins, and stressing the ryukin. common goldfish will nip and chase slower fish. im with toothless when he said to seperate them.

Hmm, I never considered that, I'll go study nemo to see if he's "biting" my ryukin instead of doing the mating behavior

Nope, I've been observing Nemo and he's definately not biting my ryukin, He's just bumping her with his head around her butt (looks like a weard way to mate) . Is it bad if she's trying to run away, or is that normal? :unsure:

It's normal for a fish to swim a little bit.

My one koi had blood-streaked fins, and they cleared up on their own. It sounds like ammonia poisoning or an extremely bad case of fin rot.

Both are curable. Salt baths are good for finrot, and as long as it isn't really bad ammonia readings, I would use salt for that too.

Good luck!

hi david. :)

i think i see what you mean now. you say that your rubbermaid and filter has finished cycling a little over a week ago. right?

well, you are indeed right that your tank has cycled if the ammonia and the nitrite reach 0. by that time, of course, youll have nitrates and youll want to keep them low.

so, with that in mind, if you see a lot of bottom pushing and nudging going on, your definitely seeing mating behavior happen even though you see no breeding tubricles on the male. congradulations! that means your doing all the right things when they are carefree enough to mate. ;) the shredding of the fins is from the stress involved in mating.

however, if this gets to a point where the female is acting ill (bottom sitting with fins clamped and not eating), youll need to separate them with a divider of sorts so the female can get a break from all the action. feeding a medicated food at this point is advisable.

let us know how its going, ok? :huh:

paul

Ok, yes, I "had cycled my week ago" when I posted this, but now It's 2 weeks. Now, I have a real big question, since the tank dividers made for tanks don't fit my rubbermaid, I wanted to make my own out of one of those screens with little holes in them used to cover windows and then stick it to the sides of the rubbermaid with aquarium silicone. I washed it and it looks as good as new, now my question, does the material used to make the screen release toxic chemicals over time. The reason I want to make the divider is because right now I don't have enough space or time to care for those babies so by separating them I won't get any, but when I do get enough time and space which will be around december and january, will the mating ritual have stopped around that time of year?

if you can make it to a arts and crafts store, you might be able to pick up what they call "plastic canvas". heres a link to what it looks like:

plastic canvas

i would be wary of screens for windows. they could very possibly release some nasties into the water. the canvas that i suggested is inert and wont harm a thing.

also, to construct a barrier, you wont need silicone it to the sides of the bin. just buy enough to construct a 1x1x1 (or a bit bigger if you feel the need) box without a top. you can use fishing line to string all the panels together. also it would be a good idea to run a bead of silicone along the edges and corners to "bump proof" the isolation box.

if you need any further help in constructing this, dont hesitate to pm me or post back! ;)

hope this helps! :)

paul

Archived