Sign in to follow this  
grain

Goldfish Growth

How fast do goldies grow?

I just bought a fantail to be friends with my 6 inch, 2.5 year old fantail (which I now believe may be part or all ryukin) :unsure:

anyways, the fantail is quite small, but is the largest one I could find. He is only about an inch big, so I would like to get him in with Gill very soon, as Gill is very lonley, but I'm afraid that since Gill is so much larger, he will try to eat the new fish. :crp

Hello Grain Glad to here you got Gill a friend :D Here is pic of goldie and Dot and they love each otherMy Webpage You can see the differnce in size and no problums. i have had them together for a month or so now.

Guest scott88gt

He shouldn't, what I would do is feed the big one pellets and while he is going after the pellets, feed something smaller to the little one. Especially if the big one takes his time chewing like mine did--even after the food was soaked.

Your little one may take more than one year to catch up to the big one depending upon a lot of different factors.

-Scott

Thanks Scott :)

-I don't want to wait till he catches up, just till he is of compatable size, which will probably take a long time. I will actually probably put him in with Gill next week and see how it goes:)

nevermind, the new fish died :(

Hmmm My None fancy goldfish (commets) grew extremly fast in ponds

about 4 to 5 to 6 inches in 1 summer,My moor has grew about 1 inch

in 2 months.Im very sorry about your lost do you know what happen to the poor guy :(

Im very sorry about your lost do you know what happen to the poor guy :(

Thank you :)

-I'm not sure what happened to him, I don't know if he was already sick, or if it was something I did wrong :( I posted about it in the diagnos forum.

I got a shubunkin today, I hope he does better than the little fan tail did. He is bigger too, so that is a good thing. I'm just hoping that he doesn't have ICK cause alot of the fish there had it. He was in a tank by himself, but ya never know.

I measured my fish, they are growing 4, maybe even 5 inches a year so far. one was 4" and now is nearly 5" and its been like 2 months only :eek: but there single tailed guys, fans grow slower

I measured my fish, they are growing 4, maybe even 5 inches a year so far. one was 4" and now is nearly 5" and its been like 2 months only :eek: but there single tailed guys, fans grow slower

Thats pretty fast growing isn't it???? That is heaps!!! Do all fish grow this fast or is this an odd case???

Guest starsmom

I have a pearlscale that has gone from 1" to 6" in a little under a year. Also an oranda that has grown from 1" to 5" in about 9 months. If you give them lots of room, good water quality and a varied diet, even the fancys can grow fast!

However, I will say that the growth on the pearlscale has seemed to slow, the oranda is catching up. I imagine that when they get to their maximum genetic potential they will stop growing.

I have a red capped oranda (my first goldie) who started out much bigger than the other two, and they have passed her by a mile. She went from 1" to about maybe 4" in 13 months.

Laura

I'd say that my fantails have grown about an 1-1.5 inches in about 4 months. But they're just little guys in a massive pond(240 gallons). And they have lots and LOTS of food to eat.

Robyn

Guest Captain Nemo

My Ranchu has grown more than Fantails. They were the same size when we bought them, now Rachu is twice the size of Fantail. We added another little Fantail to the tank and they get along perfectly. May I suggest to use Melafix when you add new fish to the tank to be sure all germs are killed naturally. Melafix is made with Tea Tree extract, and very safe for everything in the tank. I keep a bottle ready in the drawer all the time.