Sign in to follow this  
Guest wonder

Yay!

Guest wonder

Whoo hoo. My goldfish tank has been established for 2 months, 2 days, and 3 hours and 2 minutes... yes.. anyways, i have this nasty looking brown stuff (probably algea) growing thickly on my fish toys. Now since there light colored the stuff is very very visable. Should I leave it on for awhile or can I clean it off?

You could clean it for presentation... My tank glass is full of brown and green algae also. I just leave it on, helps keep water problems down... eats excess nutrients ;)

hmm... algae is somehow good in a sense too.

but i don understand how it can keep lesser water problems? :huh:

Algae helps to keep the nitrates down as well as gives the fish a little something to munch on.

I have experienced many different kinds of algae in my tank, and I have to say the brown not the worst.

Right now I have Beard Algae, I didn't like it in the begining but now I like the looks of it. It adds character to the tank.

algea eats the chemicals (ammonia, ect) so we have better water quality if there is algea in there. brown algea is caused by low light. so you can get a better kight or leave it on longer, then you will get green algea.

oh, didnt know that algae can change colours too! :o

so maybe i should leave my lights on throughout the day and swtich it off at night then. hopefully i can get some green out of that.

thanks for the tip! ;)