Where Did My Snail Go?

eather.hey

So, I left my lid on my tank up today and there's my huge (size of my fist) snail crawling on the hood of the tank. It almost kinda grossed me out seeing it out of the water. I watch it for awhile and it went back in. Then later on I see it sitting on my canister filter (outside of the tank again). I thought right away that something was wrong w/ my params and it was trying to get out of funky water. I checked everything and all the levels were okay. So I hop online and find out that as Erika put it "they sometimes like to climb out of the water and slime around." So I'm like okay, it's just "sliming" around. Never slimed around before, but what ever.

I just came back downstairs to turn the light off and there's no big snail again (other 2 were there.) I look all over the back of the tank, all around the area of the tank...no snail. I'll called my dog in for back-up. He sometimes helps me find my turtle when he's missing. I'm on all 4's feeling the ground for wet spots (all the while getting my dog into a "find the snail" frenzy and thinking about how when I find this snail it's gonna have a ton of dog hair on it!!). After looking all over the downstairs, carefully pulling out furniture, checking the ceiling, the other tanks, ect, it dawns on my that it might be on the underside of the hood of the tank. My tank has 2 lids. I open up the 1st one, no snail. I open up the 2nd lid and knew right away that it was under the 2nd lid. So I slowly raise the lid and find my huge snail laying about a gazillion little reddish pink eggs. Poor thing spent all evening trying to find a place to lay "her" eggs. I'm glad that at least both times I caught her out of the tank I didn't put her right back in, but let her crawl in herself. I don't leave enough room up top for them and I know it, but if I left 5 inches at the top of my tank, my filters make too much noise.

So now I have to go do some research. I know really nothing about these snails and their eggs.

Now I realize what the smallest snail was doing while he was attached to her for the past 2 days! :ignore

I just looked over and she's still out of the water! I'm gonna go turn the light off for her...and hit that snail site I saw linked on here a few posts before...

The drama continues...

Black Oranda, still looking for some apple snails???? :lol2:teehee

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tomuch: I came home from working all nite in kind of a grouchy mood because I've had no sleep,and now I'm ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl This bit of news,sure made me laugh,and laugh,and laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So Chewbacka is really BIG MAMMA UNDER COVER!!!!!!!! This was too funny!!! :yeah:

:rofl Heather...you should be a writer!!! I have been laughing ever since I read that. :rofl

It reminds me of the time when I was young and had a garter snake. I couldn't find Sidney anywhere. My mom used to laugh like crazy about it. She would say"Do you know what the 5 most chilling words are?" Then she would say "Mom, I can't find Sidney" :rofl

Well, we did find Sidney. My Dad got out of bed one morning and put his hand in the pocket of his robe......there was Sidney!!!!! Alive and well. :D

PLEASE< PLEASE< PLEASE I want one of the snails when they get big enough!!!

Jeanne :lol

Heather hop over to applesnail.net...you have yourself a Pomacea canaliculata with the sounds of it..going by the size and the colour of her eggs..there you will receive all the snaily advice you will need looking afer your new babys..good luck..Linda

I've been to the site 100 times since last night!!! Thanks for the advice though. I'm actually going back right now...the eggs look like they're drying out and I need to know if I should spray 'em down or if I should let nature take it's course.

WHAT AM I GONNA DO WITH 200 BABY SNAILS???

Everyone pm your address!!! :yeah:

Yes spray them Heather if they dry out the snails inside the cells will die..anyone will take them off you when they get about pea size but it may be easier to send the whole clutch to someone if you dont want the babys thats what I would do..Linda

Lol! That story is sooo funny :rofl I had a snail once, not sure what kind, that had like 20 babies in my tank. Unfortunately she died a few days later. I think it was because I didn't know to leave a space at the top for air. My 2 orandas thought the babies were snacks and ate them :( so none made it, and I have been snailless since. Good luck with "your" babies and let us know when they hatch, hehe. If you need a good home for them I'd gladly yake a few :D

• 2 weeks later...

My snail laid eggs a while ago when i first got "it". I didnt know what to do, and saw they started to dry up, then moisture started to make them fall into the water, then i came back fomr school ,and they were gone :cry1

Archived