Flashing

eather.hey

I noticed that my common was flashing last night. All the water params are okay and I haven't introduced any new fish in a LONG time. I did just add some live plants though. Can flukes be carried on plants? Any other ideas on why s/he would flash? I only saw the flashing twice, but I'm still concerned.

Thanks!

:D plants can harbour disease and parasites im afraid. Dont know if you can quarantine plants the same way as fish but i think you will need to treat for flukes.

aww man! :o

while this could very possibly be flukes, you might want to wait and get a very close examination of one of the flashing goldies. check for the usual suspects (ich, lernea, and argulus). if you dont see anything visible, flukes are highly suspected. however, costia, chilodonella and trichodina could be the culprits as well.

pray that its not flukes. not that your fish are going to explode or anything. its just that flukes seem to be the single most evasive parasite that we deal with as aquarists.

keep us posted! :unsure:

paul

oh Toothy, it's always something, isn't it?!

I just don't know what to think. After more thinking about the new plants, I'm more stumped. A friend gave me these plants and she ordered them online. When she recieved them she put them in a bucket of water. So I'm thinking at least 2 days for shipping and 2 days in the bucket before I put them in my tank. I washed them real good, just with water. My friend has no odd signs in her fish. Would any parasite be able to live 4 or more odd days with no host?

There's no ich. I'll have to look up those other things ya mentioned b/c I'm not sure what some of them even are... ;)

I did slack on my water change this week b/c I didn't have time. I only did about a 10-15%er instead of my usual 30-50% change. I tested my water a few hours after the change and everthing was normal. But as Murphey's Law has it, I'm not out of test strips! I only have pH and ammonia. Let me go check those right now....(imagine Jeopardy theme while I test)

Check it out, I had some aquavital strips after all. I also have that "junior pH" test kit. I don't use these anymore cause I don't think they're all that acurate, but I guess they're better than nothing. Well, nothing out of wack on the multistick. Oh crap, my ammonia level is at .25. That's very odd. I haven't had a possitive ammonia test since I cycled this tank.

Off to do another water change. :crp

yes indeed, it is always something! ;)

well, the ammonia might be whats causing your probs. keep up on those water changes for a few days and see if that makes a difference. if the params go back to normal and you still see flashing, something might be amiss. you know what to look for, just keep a close eye on them.

about your ammonia and the cycle:

check your impeller assembly in the filter/s. (pump assemb.). that and the intake screen to make sure the filter/s is flowing freely. just a thought............

paul

most of the time it is ammonia or some chemical impact if there isn't any visible sign such as worms or sore...

ammonia and acidic water will burn the fish especially those fishes who enjoy lifting up rocks from the gravel.. sometime some hidden debris will release high load of ammonia when the rock is turned and that will affect the fish..

try to observe is there a particular spot that will cause the fish to flash..

if not, simply change water if you have not done so for a few days..

Archived