I Have An Un Ocuppied 5-7gal Hex

David Dude

As some of you already know I have a 5-7gal hex that I got for free from my neighbor, My mom had 3 female betas in it that she adored but I had to sell them for some reasons. Its been sitting there for like a month, I'd really like to add some life to it :rolleyes: I want to turn it into a tropical tank but I really don't know squat about tropical fish. Ok here is the list of the stuff I already have: I have tropical fish food, I have a glass cover, with a light fixture and a plastic strip that I can cut out to fit in tubes and hang on back filters, I have fake plants and can spare some live plants, the lady gave me the black base plate for the UGF but I don't have the rest of the pieces for it and I don't have a powerhead, I have tubing and an airstone, I am thinking of using smooth river rocks for the substrate.

Here is what I think I need to buy: a rena air pump, a powerhed (what brand would be the best) for the UGF, those big plastic tubes(not the ones for the air stones)that connect to the black base plateof the ugf, a heater since tropical fish need warm water, the cartridge that holds carbon media on the big plastic tubes for the UGF, if you know of anything else I need to buy please tell. :please

I really need info on what types of tropical fish can go in that size and shape of a tank, I would really like some bright colored fish

sorry if I put this post in the wrong section :ignore

that sounds like it would make a nice dwarf gourami tank. just one to avoid fights. it would also make a nice molly tank, or some other livebearers. you could put a couple of those in that tank. tropical fish are easy. the bio load is relatively low unless you overstock.

this sounds like it could be a lot of fun and eductional for you. start digging in on some tropical boards and learn the craft. well worth the effort.

that sounds like it would make a nice dwarf gourami tank. just one to avoid fights. it would also make a nice molly tank, or some other livebearers. you could put a couple of those in that tank. tropical fish are easy. the bio load is relatively low unless you overstock.

this sounds like it could be a lot of fun and eductional for you. start digging in on some tropical boards and learn the craft. well worth the effort.

oK, but what ab :( out the UGF, do I have all the requirements for it.

Mollies really get too big for that size tank.

I'd stick to cherry barbs, neons, one betta, one paradise fish, one dwarf gourami, stuff like that. Someone mentioned sparkling gouramis are smaller than than the dwarfs and don't fight as much?

There's always the option of doing a planted algae eating shrimp tank, shrimp are very interesting and come in lots of colors now.

Dwarf puffers (freshwater ones, I'm not talking about figure 8's or green spotted, which stores WILL try to sell you as freshwater) would probably work, but they need really good conditions and need a good diet of snails.

Mollies really get too big for that size tank.

I'd stick to cherry barbs, neons, one betta, one paradise fish, one dwarf gourami, stuff like that. Someone mentioned sparkling gouramis are smaller than than the dwarfs and don't fight as much?

There's always the option of doing a planted algae eating shrimp tank, shrimp are very interesting and come in lots of colors now.

Dwarf puffers (freshwater ones, I'm not talking about figure 8's or green spotted, which stores WILL try to sell you as freshwater) would probably work, but they need really good conditions and need a good diet of snails.

Hi again, Ok I think I want to put just 1 mbuna cichlid or some barbs. Ok I need to know if I need a powerhead to be able to use the UGF, and if so what brand would be best for that size of a tank. I'm not really sure how many gal. of water it holds so I'll give you guys the dimensions of it: its exactly 15 and a half in. tall, each of the 6 sides measure 5 and a half in. long, and from one side to the opposite side, it's about 9 and a half in. long. I really, really need to know if I need a powerhead to work the UGF

I think undergravels can either be run with an airstone and airpump or a powerhead... the powerhead probably being the stronger of the two. But I don't have a ton of experience with them. Maybe stop by a store and read the instructions on a box for a new one?

I think undergravels can either be run with an airstone and airpump or a powerhead... the powerhead probably being the stronger of the two. But I don't have a ton of experience with them. Maybe stop by a store and read the instructions on a box for a new one?

oh!!! I didn't know I could run the UGF with my air pump, but still I think the powerhead would be better. Oh and does anyone know how I can figure out the space my tank holds?

Guest kamitoki

I'll spare you the mathematics, you have a 5 gal tank.

You could figure this out yourself by using an empty water cooler container, and compare if it's roughly the same size. Or asking the pet stores.

Besides, I dont think there are any standard sizes in 7. It's usually in multiples of 5.

Archived