I Have A Comment

Fishbuddy2

When I was at the LFS today with my cousin's girlfriend and the baby...cause now I got her into fishes...and in the saltwater tank they had the coolest fish!! A Lionfish...it is so cool. They're Poisonous though :o But still its awesome!!! So thats my comment...

Guest iPodGirl

Lionfish are pretty amazing creatures. They're so huge though! I guess they have to be by themselves in a tank?

The coolest marine creature I've ever seen in a lfs is one of those small horned boxfish. This one was about the size of a fun size Snickers bar, yellow, and had little horns. They float around like cute little square pufferfish. It was very otherworldly.

Those horned cowfish are something else, aren't they? I'm setting up a SW tank and my husband really wanted one, but turns out they can release a poison that will kill off the whole tank! Not often, but it's a risk. Plus I guess they get less cute as they age. Fishbuddy2, the lionfish can be kept with other fish--they just have to be too big to eat. :-)

At the LFS...well the guy's saltwater tank in the back of the store..He had this HUGE Lionfish, an eel, a crab, and a Clown Fish with 1 stripe not two..and the Lionfish was the biggest fish in the tank. He was so awesome. And they had a little lionfish for sale in the Saltwater Tank...

Last year I got stung by a dwarf lionfish and let me tell you, it was not pleasant. It felt like a wasps sting. The spine only grazed my finger and that was enough to make it burn for a couple hours and make my hand swell up!

Lionfish are gorgeous, though. Right now at work we have a huge (12" or so long) Volitan for only $45. Im trying to convince Wrasseman to get it for his tank! Its so beautiful.

That is huge! Are they active swimmers? I was in a restaurant today that has a FO SW tank--probably 125 gallons and there was a HUGE angelfish (like dinner plate size) that looked way too cramped and a big lionfish hanging at a downward angle between two fake rocks. It didn't look right to me, but I don't know if they're swimmers or resters.

They pretty much just hang out and dont do a lot of swimming. I have seen them hang out at the bottom of tanks and on the sides. When dinner drops into the tank though, they are really fast movers. LOL

• 1 year later...

They are poisonus but I believe there is one fish that is immune to it's sting . I can't remember which one but for some reason I was thinking it was a clown fish. If you want to see a really weird fish, see if your lfs has a dogfaced marine fish. They really do look like a dog in the face. The mmm near me has one and it is kind of neat to watch

I have seen triggerfish actually bite the poisonous spines off of them, believe it or not!

I think the dogface you're thinking of is the dogface puffer!! They are sooo adorable. We have a gold dogface at the store right now and I want it, except it's $300 and I have no place to put it. :)

They are poisonus but I believe there is one fish that is immune to it's sting . I can't remember which one but for some reason I was thinking it was a clown fish. If you want to see a really weird fish, see if your lfs has a dogfaced marine fish. They really do look like a dog in the face. The mmm near me has one and it is kind of neat to watch

The spines are not offensive weapons for a lion fish...but they are defensive basically used to keep other large fish from attacking or swallowing them....

The clown fish is not immune to the sting but it doesn't have to worry about being stung because a lion fish will swallow any fish it can fit into its mouth including the clowns.....As far as I know there is not any fish that I am aware of that is immune to the sting of a lion fish.....

Archived