Apple Snail Vs. Mystery Snail

Guest luvryukin

Guest luvryukin

Hi:

I just called vvvv out of curiosity to see if the sold Apple snails. The told me that they have Mystery snails but no Apple snails. Now I really am confused about the difference. I am bidding on a Jade Mystery.

That's essentially like calling a pet store and asking if they sold dogs, and they told you they have no dogs, only Golden Retrievers.

Apple snail is a general term for the species, let's just say equivalent to dog. Mystery snail is a P. Bridgesii, also sold as an Inca or sometimes just "apple snail". So let's say the Brigs are the Golden Retrievers. Do you sort of get it now?

Guest PetBakery

Apple snails and mystery snails are the same thing. People use the names interchangeably. Unfortunately, the majority of pet stores have no idea about this.

There ARE two different species of snail that go by these two names though. The snail are you bidding on is a Pomacea bridgesii. No, I'm not spying on you. B) Jades only come from the bridgesii group. :D Here's a basic overview:

Pomacea bridgesii - These snails get to be about 1.5" in diameter and come in a variety of colors. Whenever you see auctions for purple, blue, or ivory snails, these are always bridgesii. You'll commonly see them referred to as just "brigs" online. They are very nice snails which lay white clutches of eggs above the waterline and will not eat your living plants unless you give them no other choice by not feeding them.

Pomacea canaliculata - A much larger snail which can reach the size of your fist. They are very big eaters and will happily devour every living plant in your tank. They lay clutches of orange-pink eggs above the waterline.

Guest luvryukin

Thanks. I am new to this forum and I am becoming very excited about my goldfish and hopefully winning this bid. I appreciate your help. I don't think you're spying on me. these are things I need to know. You are a big help. Do you personally think that particular snail will get along with my Ryukins.

Guest PetBakery

It really depends on how nippy your fish are. Do they normally peck and play with new decorations in their tank? If so, they may be a little too curious for the snail. Snails have very long tentacles that they spread to get a feel for the water and locate food. Many fish will think that these are long inviting worms and nip them. If aggressive enough, they could shear the tentacles right off. A snail that's pestered too much can die from the stress.

Also, what temperature is the tank? Snails normally like the temp above 70. I do keep comets in with my adult snails, but my normal room temperature water is 70-80 degrees.

Guest luvryukin

:)

Hi:

I will purchase a thermomether considering That i plan on purchasing a snail. I haven't decided, but I'll have to play it by ear, I may end up putting the snail in the tank separately.

Actually I must argue with you on the species idenfication. There are 3 species all commonly sold as "apple snails" or "mystery snails." My snail was 100% a P. bridgesii. He got to be about 3" across and was a voracious plant eater.

On Applesnail.net is an excellent species ID page where I learned to tell all the different ones apart. I wish I could link it but it just sends you to the homepage. You cant go just by color because a lot of colors are found in the different species. The shape of the shell is the defining factor. Bridgesii has a 45? angle between the sutures where Canaliculata has a greater than 45? angle. Also the shapes of the opening to the shell are a lot different. It can all be really confusing until you see the different ones in person, side by side, and know without a doubt.

Guest PetBakery
Actually I must argue with you on the species idenfication. There are 3 species all commonly sold as "apple snails" or "mystery snails." My snail was 100% a P. bridgesii. He got to be about 3" across and was a voracious plant eater.

On Applesnail.net is an excellent species ID page where I learned to tell all the different ones apart. I wish I could link it but it just sends you to the homepage. You cant go just by color because a lot of colors are found in the different species. The shape of the shell is the defining factor. Bridgesii has a 45? angle between the sutures where Canaliculata has a greater than 45? angle. Also the shapes of the opening to the shell are a lot different. It can all be really confusing until you see the different ones in person, side by side, and know without a doubt.

I am a member of Applesnail.net as well. The colors that overlap are the wilds and golds. There is a type of cana that has a light shell but dark body, however I have never seen those sold under the name of jades. The reason I explained it according to color was to make it simpler. It's extremely difficult to figure out the species by shell shape unless you have two different species of snail sitting in front of you for comparison. The colors I mentioned as examples (purples, blues, ivories) don't occur in canas.

As for the plants.... Are you feeding your snail? If so, what are you feeding it? Also, what type of plants is it eating? I have heard of some brigs eating plants, but it's rare when you're providing a good variety and quality of food. The only exception I've seen to this rule is duckweed, which is considered snail candy.

Same with the shell size. 1.5-2" is the average. 3" would be very rare.

You mentioned that there was a third species sold under the name of "apple snail" but never said which. What is it? I've heard of Vivs being sold as apples sometimes but they're not often seen.

For anyone who's interested in the scientific names we're talking about, here's the info on Applesnail.net

Pomacea bridgesii

Pomacea canaliculata

Archived