Does Anybody Know The Flow Rate

David Dude

Hi, I am going to be buying a 55 gallon tank with stand for $258.00 (is this a good deal :unsure: ) but it doesn't come with any filter, air pump, or anything except for the light fixture. There are a few types of filters at my vvvv: fluval cannisters 104-404, EHEIM Professional II 2128 with Thermofilter for Freshwater, Vortex Diatom Xl. If none of those are that good here's some that my Parents can buy online for me: a combo which includes the Aqua Master 600 and a 25 watt U.V, a turbo twist 3-x 9watt U.V, and a Eheim Wet/Dry System Model 2227. I need to know the flow rate I need for the tank and keep in mind that I can only spend $400 from my birthday money. Here are the links to what the filters look like :)

Fluval

Aqua .... Combo

Ehiem

U.V.

Vortex

Another Ehiem

For goldfish you'll want 10x the size of the tank. So, you

have a 55 gallon tank, that will be 550 gallon per hour

that you'll need filtration for.

You could do a number of things with the filtration for that.

I've got 2 penguin 330's on one of my 55's and it looks

great. Or, you could do a canister and a HOB filter.

The price seems reasonable. I've gotten tanks from

vvvv for $100 with light fixtures.

Let us know what you decide on, or if you have any more

questions. :)

and if you decide to buy from vvvv ... make sure to print out the online prices for the filters, media, etc etc as the will pricematch their own online prices at the store. You get the better prices and no shipping! I know the Penguin 330's are significantly cheaper on their site as are the Python siphons. Worth the few minutes to find and print out a shopping cart full of what you want!

I have an Eheim 2128 cannister, and two Emperor 280's on my 55 gallon tank. It is an odd shape and the back is only as wide as one 280 - so I have one hanging on each side. This may seem like overkill, but I truly did not have crystal clear water until I added the second HOB filter!

I personally do not like having a thermometer combined with a cannister filter. My reason - the thermostat of a thermometer is usually a common thing to fail in a system. If you have spent $30. or under on a thermometer, you replace it. But if you have spent $280+ on a filter/thermometer combo you are now in a pickle when the thermostat fails!

Having the combo of HOB and cannisters gives the best of both worlds, I think, for I have the media baskets available from the Emperors (they are in the Penquin 330 and 400 also) and the bio-filter capability of a cannister. You will find that an Eheim 2128 will not adequately filter this tank by itself.... you will need more. Having a combination of Cannister and HOB filters allows you to clean and change and move things as needed and never risk your cycle!

A fantastic thing - this new tank of yours! Congratulations! May you have years of enjoyment from it!!!! :yeah:

I have an Eheim 2128 cannister, and two Emperor 280's on my 55 gallon tank. It is an odd shape and the back is only as wide as one 280 - so I have one hanging on each side. This may seem like overkill, but I truly did not have crystal clear water until I added the second HOB filter!

I personally do not like having a thermometer combined with a cannister filter. My reason - the thermostat of a thermometer is usually a common thing to fail in a system. If you have spent $30. or under on a thermometer, you replace it. But if you have spent $280+ on a filter/thermometer combo you are now in a pickle when the thermostat fails!

Having the combo of HOB and cannisters gives the best of both worlds, I think, for I have the media baskets available from the Emperors (they are in the Penquin 330 and 400 also) and the bio-filter capability of a cannister. You will find that an Eheim 2128 will not adequately filter this tank by itself.... you will need more. Having a combination of Cannister and HOB filters allows you to clean and change and move things as needed and never risk your cycle!

A fantastic thing - this new tank of yours! Congratulations! May you have years of enjoyment from it!!!! :yeah:

How about this?, B) a Fluval 404, the 9 watt U.V, an Emperor Power Filter 280b , a UGF(hey, what do I need besides all the tubing and black board that goes under the gravel? A powerhead :idont )to help a bit, and if I have enough money leftover I will buy the Vortex diatom xl to have crystel clean water. How does that sound? :yeah:

*jaw drop* Oh my goodness... UV sterilizer, diatom filter.. whew! That's going to be one clean tank, expensive too... I just use a thin layer of filter floss in my power and canister filters and it polishes the water nicely...

*jaw drop* Oh my goodness... UV sterilizer, diatom filter.. whew! That's going to be one clean tank, expensive too... I just use a thin layer of filter floss in my power and canister filters and it polishes the water nicely...

I do it all for the fish :lol: my dad and friends say that I'm to concerned about my fish and should just leav them like that......BUT thats coming from people who have gone through more than 40 goldfish in just 2 MONTHS!!! Most of my family members say why haven't they died yet?(I've had 2 of my fish for over 2 years and 2 new additions for 4 months)When they come to my house,,,,shows you how ignorant people can be :angry:

I think you would be better off without the UGF. They are the devil to clean, and can have the potential to harbor toxic by-products. (much along the same thought as hollow ornaments) They are a good hiding/hatching place for parasites also.

How about just considering a much thinner layer of gravel or rocks on the bottom of your tank? Something you can vacumn throughly and easily, every water change? Or bare bottom with stones? The circulation of the tank will be enough and you can skip the power head, too.

:twocents

don't go overboard. the 404 and the 280 would be plenty. very affordable if purchased online. don't forget the air pump. if not for fish health then for play equipment for the fish.

Hi again,Ok, I won't buy the UGF with the powerhead, I will definately buy the 404, the 280, and the U.V, however, if I have enough money I will definately buy the Diatom. I'm going to want to use river rocks you find at home depot for the substrate. I will have 5 fish in the tank, the one's on my signature

Archived