Sign in to follow this  
fi5hkiller

Tank - Life Span

Tanks.. are they living things?? do they expire??

Yes, they do expire.. thus I would not advise people to get second hand tanks..

what happened?? One of my 6 tanks gave way.. and all water leak out of the gap.. the silicon has given way.. and the worse thing is that I cant get to stick it back..

why?? becuz the glass surface is unable to produce a good grip for silicon to bite on anymore.. unless you strip the glass tank of all silicon, giving it a good scrub with strong chemical then the glass should be usable again.. but there again, it wont last as long as a new tank and it probably give way pretty soon..

another question - is it worth the trouble??? it is very troublesome and I rather pay to buy a new tank..

that's all.. jus something for your consideration..

cheers

That's true, sometimes a bargain is not a bargain. You get what you pay for.

Cheers! Annette

Guest Buffalohead

:exactly Like they say, what u pay is what u get. Never buy a large second hand tank(unless u are very handy) that has been sitting in someone's garage and not filled up n running, that could be a lemon. If you have to buy one because of budget, look closely at the silicon joints, they should be firmed both on the inside and outside. There should be no tell tale sigh of any water leakage on the stand, like rust or stain on the timber. Also ask whether it can be fill up with water before u take it. Black silicon is stronger than the clear type. I had mine made with black silicon and it cost a little more.

cheers mate!

Guest BubblesOwner

How about seamless acrylic tanks? Yes, they scratch, but will they someday no longer hold water?

Guest Buffalohead

I think they can hold water pretty ok, u are right they scratch easily, and when u view at different angle, the fish appearance look distorted and they don't come any cheaper.I only use a small portable one that I bring along when I select fish at the aquarium shop.

cheers!

I had one of my glass tanks for about 11 years now and nothing happend ...

BO I think it would depend on how the tank is made. Some of the larger tanks have a brace bar made to hold them together better, but if the brace bar starts to have a problem them the structure of the tank gets week.

I do agree depending on how the tank was used or care for you can have a problem with bargain deals. Most of my tanks have been brand new just cause of this fear :scared

Guest BubblesOwner

That's good to know! It's been a while since I ran my 90 gallon. I wonder if It would be prone to leaks after all this time. :crp

I've completely resealed tanks, and yes, you have to scrape off all the old silicone and wipe it clean with vinegar before resealing. It wasn't a lot of work, but I would never try it on anything larger than a 55 gallon tank.

I don't think I'll ever buy a used tank again, they are always scratched up and scratches drive me nuts. Stores should not be allowed to sell those plastic algae scrapers!

Hmmm....I got my 20g L from one of my friends....His fish had died and the water was DISGUSTING!!! we cleaned it out and stuff, theres quite a few scratches and one of the corners has a chip, nothing too serious tho, I haven't had any issues with it, it was made in '89 LOL I got it for free...The silicon still looks good tho... I think it always had fish in it. But, I may just be lucky...atleast for the time being (knocks on wood)

I had one of my glass tanks for about 11 years now and nothing happend ...

that's great.. I bet that's a good tank that is well taken care of..

I believe another poosbility that leads to tank problem is when we shift them around too much.. when moving, we are lifting the tank off by grabbing the side and this would apply some force on certain angle and it may cause the silicon to lose grip...

Some tanks comes with a tank enforcer that helps to hold the tank better.. especially those that comes with a piece of glass at the top of the tank by the side and middle..

the tank that gave way indeed was moved around too much.. it was my brother's tank and it didn't come with such enforcer (if that's what it is called)..

I've completely resealed tanks, and yes, you have to scrape off all the old silicone and wipe it clean with vinegar before resealing. It wasn't a lot of work, but I would never try it on anything larger than a 55 gallon tank.

I don't think I'll ever buy a used tank again, they are always scratched up and scratches drive me nuts. Stores should not be allowed to sell those plastic algae scrapers!

that's right, the tank that gave way is a 3ft tank.. that's why I claim it is hard work especially after striping off the silicon..

maybe I should have used some vinegar to scrub the tank before patching need silicon over it..

anyway, I wouldnt try again.. really a lot of work.. and it is heavy too.. *grant*

I have to side with Myaj. I've resealed my fair share of tanks and have had zero problems. In fact, with my 55 gallon tank, I felt more comfortable with my sealing job over the tanks original seal. I'll openly admit that comes off elitist, but I trust my own skills, so it made me feel better.

I've stopped counting the number of years that tank has had the seal on it. If it breaks/leaks, I'll do it again with confidence and enjoy another countless years with it.

A trick for superficial scratches, a little silicone placed in them, with extra scraped away does not cause them to collect algae and make your tank look bad. A friend of mine buffs them out with some grit cloth. I'm not as comfortable with that, but to each their own.

Sorry for the rambling, caffeine shortage in my bloodstream. I'm going to fix it.

I think the trick still lies with our skill in resealing the tank with silicon..

guess I have done a bad job.. :lol:

to think I spent 4 days and it already goes to show how handy I am.. :P