Sign in to follow this  
Fishmerised

Green "pea Soup" Water

Fishmerised has put 'algae cure' in the tank to stop the algae acording to her she says... ''it should be clearer by the end of the week then we can change the water.'' do any of you agree with her theary? we'd like to know what you think. :) Cheers!

Adding new water may feed the algae more nutrients and regrow again. Then again, I'm not familiar with Algae Cure so I'm unsure if it rids it completely or not.

Tell ya what, I'll loan you my pleco and snail. That should clear it up.

Thanks for the offer mate but can you send me a plane ticket? :lol: (Look at where I live!) Thats a good theory ADuPont I'll get Fishmerised to look into that! thanks! :) Cheers

Edited by Garion Fishmerised's Son

I had the green water problem myself, at the beginning of this summer, and tried the algae destroyer chemical first, which didn't work and i used it consistently for a couple of weeks. I did water changes of about 20- 30% each day, every day for about four or five days, and this cleared the water up mostlly. Then I purchased a bunch of medium-tall sized amazon swords, a couple java ferns, and a bunch of green cabomba, and planted the tank. I haven't added anything extra for the plants, and they are doing great. The cabomba seems to be the favorite snack though for my goldies, but as many times as they have eaten them and yanked them out of the gravel, they seem to grow while floating around at the water surface, and they have also managed to survive, though I have totally given up trying to replant them. The water hasn't gone green again since I planted the tank, and the water parameters stay pretty stable too.

Yes after the treatments finished we'll by some plants too. I will make sure Fishmerised replys to that. the green pea soup water tank is not a pleasent site we want the water clean. thanks

Cheers!

Hi, I choose the 'Algae Cure' because it only contains a single incredient, 3g/l Simazine. All the other brands had a combination of ingrediants and stated they could clear the algae in 3 days.

This one said an improvement should be noticeable in 7 days. I liked the sound of this because it didn't promise a "quick cure". It is harmless to plants and bacteria too. Also rather than redosing in 3 days like some brands, it says to wait 14 days. Slow and steady wins the race :lol:

Once the algae is gone I'll do an 80% water change and gravel clean (rather than strip the tank completely) then I'll put in some plants.

Garion, all things considered, I'd sooner come to your country, I haven't been to Australia yet. It's on the list of places that I want to visit before I get old. :)

Guest easycruise

I recently had an algae bloom. I bought a diatom filter. It cleared up the tank immediately (crystal clear), but the algae came back, probably because the spores had reproduced. I found that you can't go by the instructions that come with the diatom filter, you have to put much more DE powder (3-5x)and run the filter for 45 minutes then empty the filter and recharge with more DE.

I had really murky green water and got it crystal clear in 4 hours. Then I put "algae fix" in and it controlled the algae but it still came back. My LFS then said to use 3 times the recommended amount of "algae fix". I didn't get to that step because we were leaving our vacation home and I dismantled the tank to go back to our permanent home.

A UV sterilizer is my next purchase. They are the same price as a diatom filter. Both are $79 U.S. at Dr.Fosterandsmith. Except with a UV sterilizer you need a canister filter. Hang-on filter is not compatible.

In addition, if you have snails, you can leave them in the tank with "algae fix". If you use "No more algae" from Jungle Pharm., it says that you must remove the snails(not same chemical).

Good luck.

Dave

Guest easycruise

Oh yes, one more thing. A poster said to cover your tank for a few days so that no light gets in. I tried that, it didn't work at all.

Dave

i have the same problem ohhhh its realy geting too me. i hate it sooooooo much i hate it with a passion. i like the stuff that isnt free floating but its sooo bad i did a 90% water change and 3 days later i cant see my fish. i tryed adding plants to my tank to help (it couldnt hurt) no resalt. i added accua clear adn that didnt help. some one said to add dephiria? would baby brine shrimp work?

yep i know the water is green and cloudy. if theres algae there if you can find the 'cure' you might want to use algae cure like my mum did.

Edited by Garion Fishmerised's Son

More information please on a diatom filter, never heard of one before :rolleyes:

kiss: I don't know what brine shrimp eat. Daphnia love to eat the pea soup type of algae. I've used them to successfully clear green water without having to use chemicals. You put them in a breeder net in the tank. I picked up my daphnia starter culture from Dallas Discus.

Cutting down on light and added fast growing plants (e.g. anacharis, hornwort) and floating plants (e.g. duckweed, frogbit, azolla, etc) should also help.