Sign in to follow this  
Guest WakinWorks

Anyone Feed Algae?

Guest WakinWorks

I'm a big "believer" in algae as a good health and color developer in my Wakin and other goldies. The outside pond goldies love to graze on it all day long it seems and their nice healthy poops are green as grass. So, I decided to try bringing in some of the floating matt algae for the indoor kids. They love it!! I'm lucky to have a nice supply of floating matt algae, not string or pea soup type, in my large outside fry tank right now. You'll never see it in the larger tanks because they eat it all before it can form a matt.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this? It already seems like my 3 new fancies, 1 black moor and 2 calico telescopes, are responding with improved vigor and color depth.

Guest ed586

I server my fancies spirulina flakes 1-2 times a week. I think it does keep them regular too. Seems to keep them happy. :D

Guest Joelio

Yeah I feed my Ra spirulina too. He likes it :D .

-Joel

Guest WakinWorks

Awww...yes...the spirulina flakes would be a great alternative when fresh algae isn't available. I'll remember than when the algae disappears in the fall. Thanks!

Guest BubblesOwner

Algae chips just won't cut it, will they?

Guest ThomE

Along those lines, I was wondering about having a green tank. Treat it like a vacation place for the Goldies. One weekend a month, place Goldies into the green tank (a tank with algae gone crazy). I read somewhere, that a green tank is good for the Goldies, but not too good visually.

Anybody else with feedback on this? :idont

But to answer your question, yes, I feed my Goldies spirulina pellets too.

Guest ed586

Yep, the green tank probably is pretty fun for your goldies. I think a variance in diet does them good too.

I don't know anthing about algae chips, Bubbles. If they are for fish, I'd think they'd be okay. Since they are chips, do you soak them?

Guest BubblesOwner

They are for fish I do believe (it shows a pleco on the pouch cover). I had bought them a while back for my snails. The sales rep suggested it... First time I tried them I tossed one in the water to see what it did. After a while, it expanded and looked like a big chunk of algae. Bubbles liked it, and the snail wasn't fast enough to get any. :P I wasn't sure how good it was for her though so I didn't use anymore.

Guest ed586

Yes, I don't know either.

I would say it's great for the snail. If you put it in at night with the lights out, the snail should be able to feast on it. They are nocturnal and the fish won't see it if it's dark enough.

Hope that helps. ;)

Guest joey

so goldfish eat alage? If so i tought it was bad for them it sucks to much oxygen?

Guest ed586

Oh no, joey. It makes Oxygen and sucks C02. Its good to eat and takes out nitrates too.

Guest WakinWorks

Joey...Algae is great for fish for a number of reasons. There is a limit however, since algae is like any other plant and produces O2 in sunlight, but in the dark it takes in O2 for it's respiration. (bio major here...sorry for the tech talk). Some algae is always good, but too much can starve a fish from oxygen at night when the algae is also taking in oxygen.

Here's a good website about green water and explains how it helps goldies!!

http://geocities.com/GreenNgoldSG/welcome-frame.html

My fish eat algea. I have no where to harvest it, but I leave it on the tank decorations (cannot stand it on the glass though) and I see the smaller fish mowing down on it.

I don't see my big fish eating it too often, they are probably too fat and lazy. :rofl

Jessica

I'm a big fan of feeding algea to my goldies. I have a 2.5 gallon tank that I frequently fill with waste water and place into direct sunlight. After a short amount of time, I add the now algae water to the tank. Most of the time, I then see a small algae bloom on my tank walls and my ornamentation.

I have a pleco, applesnail and a few goldies, all seem to enjoy the algae. I know I have an additonal helped in the filtration of my tank. So far, it's a win-win for everybody.