Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nakita

My Goldfish Are Sick And I Don't Know What's Wrong

Guest Nakita

I've had my comets for about a year. Well, one for a year, three more were added about half a year ago, and a placostomas. They were in a 5 gallon tank when they were tiny and dealt with highly acidic water and high amonia but were able to overcome that (I had to get a new placostomas though). Then I moved them all to a 10gallon tank recently which they love.

It was great but sadly they started acting weird for the past few weeks. They had ALWAYS come to anyone and especially me when I went near their tank and blew bubbles in excitement, thinking it was food time. But then they started acting weird and just lay on the rocks most of the day, hid as much as they could, and seemed skittish. I thought maybe they became sensitive to light so I kept it off for about a week, but they didn't change.

Then within the past few days my longest-finned one, The Great Saiyaman, started to split his fins a lot. I thought it was because they were laying on the rocks and sometimes slamming into things while being skittish... But yesturday I noticed some others had slight splits and today it hit them the worst ever.

They all lay on the rocks, never move, have no interest in eating unless a peice goes by them, they have white edges around all their fins, have red streaks through their fins, their fins are clamped, and they breathe shallowly.

I've tried looking up what could be wrong with them but being new at this, whatever I find can actually lead to a number of things. I put some Jungle brand Fungus Eliminater in there about six hours ago and they didn't change up until the last hour. Now they're swimming around more. But my oldest one, Kakarotto, is one of the two that was hit the worst and seems to be weaker and even swims with his head tilting down... Sometimes he just lets himself fall down some distance before he starts swimming again. The base of all his smaller fins seem to be really red too. Kakky is my favorite and I would be heartbroken if he died... I really hope someone here will be able to help. I'd greatly apreciate it.

Guest Nakita

Oh, I forgot to mention that their ph and amonia levels are good. I even got it confirmed by getting it checked at my local petshop.

Their diet is goldfish flake food.

If there's anymore information needed I'd be glad to give it.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

Information to the questions at the top of the page would be quite helpful. I'm glad that your water is good, but good is such a relative term.

I would start with a water change. Something is definately amiss.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that your fish are well. Many of us find this site because of sick fish.

There are some very important points for healthy, thriving goldfish which are not generally known--even in pet stores.

The main thing is space--your tank is way too small for that many fish, especially comets who have the potential to grow to 12" long. They are sleek bodied fast swimmers who need LOTS of room. Also they grow fast and outgrow a small tank very rapidly.

Next is filtration--goldies are messy critters and need more powerful filters than most fish. Also air--airstones or biowheels give added oxygen.

It is recommended that goldies have a minimum of 10 gallons each. Now if you are not able to do that at this point--start with partial water changes--remove about 25% of the water and replace it with new water using a water conditioner to remove chlorine.

Feed them a bit less also--that can pollute the tank.

Here is a link to give some basic info------- Ten Steps

edit: It sounds like your fish have fin rot from poor water quality. I know that you said it was tested at the pet store, but that can be unreliable. It is impossible to have high quality water in a 10 tank with that many fish. The partial water changes will help.

Edited by Wynkin