Sign in to follow this  
Guest ashlee1127

Media And Salt

Guest ashlee1127

hello everyone!

i was just wondering if i could use media in my biowheel 125, and if so what kind should i get?

and a quick question about salt. do u use it all the time (when u do water changes) or just when u have sick fish?

OMG, there are so many things to do to have healthy goldfish, i cant keep up! :o

i was just wondering if i could use media in my biowheel 125, and if so what kind should i get? ... could you explain alittle more sorry...

and a quick question about salt. do u use it all the time (when u do water changes) or just when u have sick fish? I only use it when i have sick fish,you use salt and lots of water changes when you have fish with ripped fins ect ect and ya...

Guest ashlee1127

sorry, what i meant was could i use extra media with the filter, besides the cartridge that's already in there? everyone always mentions about using extra media in their filters, and how useful and benefical it is. but i wasnt sure if it will fit in the filter cavity or not. and if i could, what kind should i buy, because i've seen a whole bunch of different kinds.

thanks black oranda, ur always there to help me!!!!!! :heart

No no it's alright it's my fault, i never add anything else really to help filtration and stuff i have an Aquaclear filter and i have the sponge and the charcoal i think it is or whater ever.... (sorry im not good when it comes to filter stuff hehehe)Maby someone else could help you better then i did, i also clean my tank once a week 25 % water change to keep the ammonia and nitrates down live plants are also good for that.

And extra filtration is always good.

Sorry i wasn;t much help there :blink:

I'm not sure on the media, it would depend on the type of filter and I'm not familiar with that. Some filters, like AquaClears, you can layer any way you want. Others, like Whispers, you can really only use their cartridges or you interrupt the water flow and end up with the filter overflowing onto your floor.

Some people like to use salt all the time, some don't. Personally, I don't.

Not to be contrary but I usually add a trace amoun of salt to my tanks every so often. The trace minerals from the salt help out the live plants in my tank.

However, I would like to add the following: I have equipment that tells me if there is too much salt in my tanks and please note the word -trace-. If I need a fish in a salt dip or a salted tank, I have a quarrantine tank for such a purpose.

Guest iPodGirl

With a biowheel 125, there definitely isn't room for much more media. There's barely enough room for the cartridge as is. I don't know what you're looking to put inside... if it's carbon or zeolite, you could slit open the cartidge and pour it inside. You could even empty out the carbon in the cartridge and put in a bit of filter floss if you want.

However, there isn't room for much of anything else. You may be able to stick a couple of ceramic rings in the filter box, but that's it. The only Penguin that has extra room is the 330 (it has two containers for putting in anything you want).

Guest ashlee1127

ok, i see. thanks for the help. im going to look into the ceramic rings and see how big they are. thanks again.

ashlee :heart