Aggression Or Spawning - Advice

Guest wigwag

Guest wigwag

I posted in the general discussion because I thought that my calico fantail was suddenly harrassing my black butterfly Moor but now I think they are mating????? The Moor (Eyeball) looks to be a female and the fantail (Specks) a male. He is chasing he and nibbling her sides and she is very fat and active and keeps going to the bottom and swimming backwards head down/tail up. Does this sound right or are they too cramped in their tank and Specks is fighting for territory. Now if they are breeding can a Moor and a fantail mate? Also they are in a 10 gallon tank so could they be breeding (I read they won't unless in a 20 gallon)? Okay and if she does lay eggs what should I do - let them stay in the tank with the parents or put them in separate tank? I don't want hundreds of baby goldfish but a few would be neat - I would get another tank for another room, etc.

Thanks so much!

-Sharon

*+!*+!*+!*+!*+!*+!*+!*+!*+!

WigWag Labradors

www.wigwaglabradors.com

moors anf fantails are compatable. the fish can spawn in any size tank but it is difficult. they need the space really to do a proper job. if she lays eggs, depends what you want to do with them. if you want the babies (youll need an extra tank) then take them out away from the parents. if not then leave the eggs in there and they will get eaten. not all the babies survive, especially if you encounter something like flukes or ich.

Archived