Sign in to follow this  
Guest 13cutefishes

Making Them Worse?

Guest 13cutefishes

Hi,

We have two very sick fish, one with fin rot, gulping for air and one who keeps turning red. Neither eat a lot if anything. They were in our big tank (84 gallons) with perfect water conditions, air, feeding, etc and to treat them we had to put them in a small quarentine tank (about bucket size, 10 Litres?). I probably should have filled it with half big tank water and half fresh but I was in a rush to get them in and just filled it with all fresh from the tap (aged, salt and treated of course). I left it for two days and put a cycle product in (good bacteria etc). Then I put the fish in and more cycle product and started medication but everyday the nitrite levels go up to about .4 and the fish gulp worse. I've had to change 20% everyday to keep the nitrite down. Ammonia and Ph are both fine. We are treating them with melafix. We have a oxyshell rather than a air stone in the tank but wondering whether its maybe not working? Are we harming rather than helping our fish by having them in the quarentine tank? We cant treat them in the big tank. So far they have had three days of medication in the small tank.

i dont know if this helps but some people have experience with melafix causing burns on their fish. try some fungus and finrot cure. that should do the job :) when you say perfect, what were the exact readings?

Hi Amy, can you tell me more about Melafix burning fish please.

I've never had trouble before but today I added Melafix to the tank after I cleaned out the filter. The fish weren't happy, their fins kept going up & down and Blackie went all clamped up.

I didn't know what was wrong so I dosed the tank with Prime (because it helps their slime coat). After an hour or so they were all very happy again. Hmm.

Cheers! Annette

Melafix burns fish?!?!?!? *boggle*

I'd love to hear/read/see more news on this. In the instances where I have used it I have never had a problem. I also followed the directions on the bottle to the letter.

Guest 13cutefishes

I think it would be pretty difficult to burn fish with this stuff unless you werent using it correctly. My fish are starting to look heaps better now, I think the quarentine tank has cycled because the ammonia and nitrite are at the right levels now, all 0. Whew!

Actually, salt is the one that can turn fish red a little bit, but its nothing serious and will go away as soon as the salt is out again. It will not harm the fish at all.

Glad to hear that your fish are doing better, 13! I wouldn't think that the water can be cycled without a filter, but getting the fish out of whatever was bothering them in the big tank seems to have helped.

If you wonna avoid ammonia problems alltogether while treating them, you can also try the bucket-to-bucket method. Have 3 buckets ready, all filled with dechlorinated, medicated and same-temperature water, and put the fish into the first bucket. Keep an eye on the ammonia, and when it gets too high, put the fish into the 2. bucket, dumping the water from the first bucket, cleaning it thoroughly and refilling it with water. Do that method for a week or two.

The concept behind is that you leave any parasites and bacteria pretty much behind in the old bucket, while the fish moves into new clean water every day. More and more coodies are left behind each time..... :)

Guest 13cutefishes

one of them (Nelson) just died, I dont know what else we could have done, maybe putting them in the quarentine tank did make them worse. I'm very sad. Maybe the oxyshell wasnt working and giving them enough air. I dont know. I've put the other one back in the big tank but I hope he doesnt die too. I dont know how we are going to medicate him safely? :cry1