Assistance Please - Goldfish Are Breeding

Guest evilz1982

Guest evilz1982

I've had a four foot fish tank for about two years. It currently contains 1 female fantail, 4 comets (2 female, 1 male), 4 sucking catfish (have no idea of sex) and 4 corydora's (have no idea of sex).

Up until now they've just been going along nicely but now my goldfish are breeding (I wasn't trying to achieve this) and I have no idea what to do, thanks to this site I have an understanding of what to expect.

The eggs are on the plants (most of this happened yesterday) and haven't noticed any changes to them as yet.

I don't have another tank and won't be able to get one until Thursday (19/8/04). I feel very unhappy :cry1 about letting the fish eat all the eggs but at present I don't have the capabilities to do anything else. I am planning on getting a 'hospital' tank on Thursday and setting it up underneath my tank stand... any advice on how to successfully care for these little eggs?

Also my female comet was chased around the tank all day yesterday by both the male comets and today has foggy eyes (cloudy), does anyone know why this is so?

Cheers

Tania

hi tania, the eggs should start to hatch in about 5-7 days. in the meantime, the eggs with fungus will turn cloudy and should be removed as they will spread to the healthy eggs. after about 3-4 days you should be able to see the fry inside the eggs, sometimes moving! then once they hatch the fry will stick to the side of the tank for the first few days in which time they should not be fed as they are absorbing their egg sacks. when they are free seimming, start either feeding very finely crushed flakes, liquifry or the baby brine shrimp which is the best. you can buy the eggs from your local fish store and the instructions on the packet are fool proof. even i managed to do it! only put a maximum of 6 inches of water in the tank to begin with as the fry need to go up to the surface and fill their air sacks and the weight of the water on them will not allow them to. do not put any gravel in the tank as the fry will get lost or crushed in it and if you are feeding live food, it will hide in there and the poor things will starve to death. also, fry tend to get a lot of problems parasite wise, l;ike ich or flukes so i find adding aquarium salt at 0.3% concentration to the water the whole time avoids horrid crisies like this. that should keep you going for a little while!

the cloudy eyes, i would say maybe the male drove her into something or was a bit rough and her eyes have maybe taken a bashing or it might have just been coincidence. try a salt dip. make the water taste just like salt water and dip her in there for 5 mins or just as she goes a bit floppy, whichever comes first. hope i helped you and :welcome

Archived