How Many Gallons Of Water Do U Need For 1 Koi?

David Dude

Hi, how many gallons of water does a koi need for him to live in the rest of his life? Whats the least and whats the most recomandable space for 1(exmaple: goldfish need a min. of ten gals. but 20 is better)koi? :) Also can I keep him in a tub ? :)

in a tub with lots of water changes. Koi should be in a pond though. They like the space, and need it. They put off ammonia and nitrites which cause many problems especially in smaller holding areas. The larger the area the easier it is to keep your water perameters under control. The smaller the area the more you need to be a water quality expert in order to keep your fish healthy.

With that said. 1 koi is not happy by his/her self. You need at least two. It stresses them to be by themselves and this could lead to health problems. I would recomend you get another koi and put in a pond at least 500 gallons (which really is still IMHO too small but only two koi can do fine in it). With a 500 gallon pond you may need to bring the fish in over winter depending on where you live.

Scott

Scott gave you some good information so I don't want too repeat what he said. But the only thing I will add right now since it is late and I am tired is if you don't plan on having a minimum of 1,000 gallons stick too other species of fish. Koi grow large and fast and will be much more of a headache than a pleasure.

I know others won't agree but that is my two cents.

Scott gave you some good information so I don't want too repeat what he said. But the only thing I will add right now since it is late and I am tired is if you don't plan on having a minimum of 1,000 gallons stick too other species of fish. Koi grow large and fast and will be much more of a headache than a pleasure.

I know others won't agree but that is my two cents.

I guess I'll stick to my lovely goldfish, they don't need so many requiremants and are similar to koi! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my friends in my neighborhood had a similar experience too, he was given a baby koi when we were both 8 and he first put it in a fish bowl, then a 10 gal, then a 30 gal, then a 75 gal, then one of those HUGE rubbermaid tubs, and finally his parents gave up the swimming pool and he's around 2 ft. right now, they also bought more koi and have a couple of goldfish. Thats where I got the idea of having goldfish of my own :rolleyes: when I saw their beatiful comets ( some right now are around 2 feet long with their tails :blink: ).

Archived