Goldfish And Relatives

David Dude

Hi, um...... Can goldfish be breed with wild carps and kio? Has anyone heard of goldfish, kio, and carps of breeding age to be able to breed with fertile eggs. Is it possible? :unsure: I was just wondering, since they all have been bred from the crucian carp :) ?

Goldfish and Koi are genetically close enough to interbreed. I don't know about the fertility of the resulting offspring though. There are pictures of a koi/goldfish cross on www.koivet.com.

Bobcats and domestic cats can mate and produce healthy kittens, but the kittens are not fertile. The same is true for horses and donkeys, from which we get mules and hinneys. Domestic dogs and wolves are genetically nearly identical and have no trouble producing fertile offspring.

Hmmm... If koi-goldfish crosses are fertile, we can make a 3-ft long pompom lionhead phoenix pearlscale koi!

I want to learn more about when goldfish diverged from koi, or when their ancesters branched off.

Caroline in San Jose

Goldfish and Koi are genetically close enough to interbreed. I don't know about the fertility of the resulting offspring though. There are pictures of a koi/goldfish cross on www.koivet.com.

Bobcats and domestic cats can mate and produce healthy kittens, but the kittens are not fertile. The same is true for horses and donkeys, from which we get mules and hinneys. Domestic dogs and wolves are genetically nearly identical and have no trouble producing fertile offspring.

Hmmm... If koi-goldfish crosses are fertile, we can make a 3-ft long pompom lionhead phoenix pearlscale koi!

I want to learn more about when goldfish diverged from koi, or when their ancesters branched off.

Caroline in San Jose

Yes, I also would like to know when they branched off, hey is there any other relatives to goldfish and kio. :blink:

I posted something a while back about commons and koi breeding. Yes, it can be done but the fish that result are infertile.

I went to koivet.com and saw some picture of what a kio-goldfish looks like, But can they be bred with carps? :huh:

Archived