Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrWalnut

Jump Starting A Tank Cycle

Guest MrWalnut

If I were to transfer the filter, some of the gravel, and a portion of the water into a new tank would this provide a jump start to the cycle of the new tank? If so, would this jump start simply be a few weeks into the cycle or would the tank basically retain the old cycle and not have to worry about it? Anyone have any experiences in doing this?

Along a similar line a second question emerges: A new filter I purchased (the Penguin 330 thanks to suggestions on this board) has media baskets in its chamber for additional media. If i were to drop a used filter and bio-pad from a smaller filter into these baskets would that not also jump start the cycle in the tank using this new filter? Furthermore, what could i later drop into these baskets to aid in the cycle of a separate tank?

And finally a request for tips and suggestions: what tricks have you found to aid in or jumpstart the tank cycle of a new tank using parts, peices, or other means of another?

Thanks in advance for any insight into these questions!

> If I were to transfer the filter, some of the gravel, and a portion of the water into a new

> tank would this provide a jump start to the cycle of the new tank?

Yes. I do this to "cheat" a cycle in a new tank. My favorite is actually explaining -why- I am giving them a gunky bio-wheel for their new clean one, some people think I am trying to cheat them.

> If so, would this jump start simply be a few weeks into the cycle or would the tank

> basically retain the old cycle and not have to worry about it? Anyone have any

> experiences in doing this?

Yes again. It depends on how well the original tank is established. Testing is the only answer to ensure the cycle is active. Sorry, no fast answer there.

> If i were to drop a used filter and bio-pad from a smaller filter into these baskets

> would that not also jump start the cycle in the tank using this new filter?

Yes. I have done this also. I have also borrowed sponges from filters, gravel, etc.

> Furthermore, what could i later drop into these baskets to aid in the cycle of a

> separate tank?

I've used the ceramic (porous) pieces and lavarock. Both provide little places for bacteria to colonize. Lift the basket, replace into different tank.

> And finally a request for tips and suggestions: what tricks have you found to aid in or

> jumpstart the tank cycle of a new tank using parts, peices, or other means of

> another?

You have the right idea from the above questions. The only other thing I do is to add fish food (I use something cheap) to "feed" the tank and assist in the colonization of good bacteria.

I'm sure others here have good ideas.

Guest MrWalnut

Awesome, I thought things might work along these lines but couldnt be sure.

With this in mind cycling a new tank, or even giving an old one a good cleaning and 'fresh' start, will be much easier and I will not have to worry so much about the fish suffering during the full cycle. Will probably still test the water neurotically though (heheh).

Thanks!

Guest juppie

i actually did this about two days ago when the woater in my one tank was merky due to lack of bacteria colonies :huh: i think so i did a 75% water change using the filter to pump the water form one tank to another. now the water is crystal clear in both tanks. it has seemed to work..