Color Changes From Food!

eather.hey

My calico oranda, who used to look like the one up top that jsrtist made, is loosing all it's black! I'm peeved, but I'll get over it. I also noticed that my blue oranda has a speck of orange in her wen. UGH. I guess any "color enhancing" food that I have been using is turning them either white or orange. What's good for maintaning a rich, black or blue color? Anything? My shubs seem to be maintaining their black though...

I'll love them just the same of course, but I like the black and blue colors. Although I've seen pics of Koko's blue oranda that changed colors (I think it was Koko's) and that might be cool if mine turned into that...but I just loved the tiger stripes on my calico's tail and they're almost gone.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!! :heart

Black, as well as blue, is a hard to keep color. I never saw a food that promotes keeping the black color, but I know that a lot of fish keepers with ponds see an improvement in the fish color when exposed to sunlight. Any chance you can get the fish outside a bit?.. :)

My tank gets some sunlight, it's not right in front of the window or anything. I wouldn't want to disturb them too much by putting them outside. I do have a pretty big rubbermaid and a pop-up pond that aren't in use though...but you know what, it's been down-right cold in Pittsburgh this summer! Usually it's in the 90's at this time and the overnight low last night was high 50's. I know that they could handle that temp. but I'd rather leave them be.

One thing about that food though is that my orange fish are a vibrant, almost red color. We'll have to see what happens. I'm gonna stop using that food when it's gone, no sense in wasting it now.

Someday when I'm no so broke, they will all be in huge outdoor pond!!! :9

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly, my lil baby pearlscale had black patches on his back that's why i named him mushroom. After a few months, the black patches have grown a bit more and he had become a lil bit more orangy in his belly. Another odd thing is that his right gill cover used to be transparent. Now its a bit more opaque.

yes, i agree with wat u guys are saying.

its really the food that we are giving them that changes the colours. i once had a black ranchu and it slowly turned gold after a month or so...

maybe black fishes can just stick to worms or some food that should not have any colour enhancement contents in it. :D

Its more or less a genetic thing, but there are foods around that have color enhancers. It should note it on the package. And when making your own food, there are ingredients you can add that will also act as a color enhancer, like red bell pepper, spinach,..... :)

Archived