Do Fancies Breed With Commons Or Comets?

Guest BubblesOwner

Guest BubblesOwner

Just curious if this is possible... since I think my girlie girl is possibly egg-heavy! (See my other thread about "Fat Belly? for a pic!)

Just curious if this is possible... since I think my girlie girl is possibly egg-heavy! (See my other thread about "Fat Belly? for a pic!)

all goldfish can breed with other goldfish but you'd probobly end up getting nymphs(ie. long fish with tail or stomach deformities :)

Guest charlie_tuna

I dont know about the deformities that happen but I have a Ryukin/commet mix fish. He has the body and shape of a Ryukin and a single tail that you find on commons. The tail is a bit larger than a normal commons tail.

I dont know about the deformities that happen but I have a Ryukin/commet mix fish. He has the body and shape of a Ryukin and a single tail that you find on commons. The tail is a bit larger than a normal commons tail.

well, actually there are many types of deformities you can get, the first fish I ever bought was a fish that had an oranda cap, long bodie, blue color, two tails, and I use to think he was a new varietie of goldfish

Guest charlie_tuna

Just about any fancy goldy that you get at the chain type fish stores have a defect or deformity when compared to show type goldfish. But in some cases the funny tails or odd ball shaped fin is what we can admire most about the fish.

Guest BubblesOwner

But then, isn't that how new breeds are created? By mutations or "deformaties"? Unless you mean terminal deformaties.

Guest charlie_tuna

Im sure id be posable for an oranda and a ranchu. Ive seen lionheads and ranchus... lionchus are definetly interesting!!

My GEFfy was labelled as a fantail, but I'm pretty certain he's crossed with a comet: He has a longer, slimmer body than most fantails I've seen (kinda looks like a long flattened egg) with a big double tail. I don't really see that as a "deformity" though--he's a beautiful, hardy fish. :heart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are though some fatal birth defects. My little gobbles is a mix between a common and a fantail. His anal fin is one sideways to he has to swim a little off kelter to swim with his anal fin. He usually just waddles in the water by using his side fins and not dealing with trying to use the anal fin. But because he waddles and does this side swimming thing it won't be long before he gets swim bladder. Usually they die at the start because they aren't fast enough and only the healthy strong babies survive. (they get the food first) So just be prepared to either take care of the little guys that aren't going to have it so easy or make sure they get to a loving caring home. Which from the sounds of it you would anyways.

Robyn

I was actually told when buying fish that it was abad idea to keep commons and fancies together because commons find a 'nice plump fancy the sexiest thing in existence' and are quite likely to harass them to the extent that they keel over1

Can't say I've had any problems; i've got occupants ranging from a big fat common through various sizes of 'fantails' to a tiny little pearlscale, and they all rub along quite happily and platonically :)

Guest BubblesOwner
I was actually told when buying fish that it was abad idea to keep commons and fancies together because commons find a 'nice plump fancy the sexiest thing in existence' and are quite likely to harass them to the extent that they keel over

:rofl:rofl:rofl

• 2 weeks later...

I had a common once that looked like he could have been crossbred with a fancy, but I am not sure if he was a mutt or just an odd ball. He had huge eyes for a common and he had a blunt shaped head. I wish I could have bred him with the common I have now, their fry would have been so cute.

:goldfish:

Archived