Uv Sterilizer

David Dude

Do you need a filter like an aquaclear or an emporer to have a uv, I heard u have to have a motor or something for the uv. Oh, andwhich one is the best brand, I'm not sure wich one would be the best for a 50gal. I will soon get, Oh and how does it look like and work? Can somebody post any picks on what their uv looks like,Please? :lol:

Do you need a filter like an aquaclear or an emporer to have a uv, I heard u have to have a motor or something for the uv. Oh, andwhich one is the best brand, I'm not sure wich one would be the best for a 50gal. I will soon get, Oh and how does it look like and work? Can somebody post any picks on what their uv looks like,Please? :lol:

any body there? :(

I UV looks like a wide tube. there is a intake and an output. the water enters the device and is exposed to UV light, the same stuff we get from the sun but up close and personal. this alters the biology of organic life and these organisms soon die.

typically, UVs do not have their own pump and rely on a pump from a filter or other device. for example, i have my UV hooked to the return of my canister filter. the water enters the filter, is cleaned then exits the filter and goes through the UV where it is "cleaned" at a different level.

UVs are not manditory but do add a degree of sterilization. as far as their looks, these things come in all sizes and flavors. here is a link where you can investigate some.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavR...0&N=2004+113411

Guest albert17

I have a turbo-twist 3x 9W for my 40 gallon tank and I love it. I use a MicroJet Pump to pass water through it at around 50gph. The way it removes floating algae is to make it clump together for the filter to remove, so I have the UV dump the water into the top of my hob filter. It kills organisms and virii in the water by damaging complex molecules (dna, rna, etc).

• Admin

You can use Alberts way or you can use a Canister too...... :D

"Sometimes we don't see your posts immediately or we do see them but don't have the information to help you.

However, all posts will be answered in a timely manner and we will try our best to help without being pushed. "

Just a reminder hun :D

I only use UV on the ponds outside, so I don't know exactly what you would need for a tank. On Goldfishconnection.com is a neat setup, filter and UV sold together, so you don't have to guess what UV fits best for what filter.... :)

• Admin

I use a Ehiem with the Hagen UV. I have to replace the bulb every six months or it losses its effectiveness. I personally love it and would have my planted tank any other way :D

I use a Ehiem with the Hagen UV. I have to replace the bulb every six months or it losses its effectiveness. I personally love it and would have my planted tank any other way :D

Okay so you have a hagen? i assume their are lots of models so what model do you have? Oh and sorry if you got mad at me for my impatience :)

• Admin

Im so sorry its a Double Helix UV 9watt. When I wrote this I was thinking of something else......

Heres a link to what I have and what it looks like

http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/ordering/st..._CustomSea.html

Dont worry hun. I always give a fare warning :D

Im so sorry its a Double Helix UV 9watt. When I wrote this I was thinking of something else......

Heres a link to what I have and what it looks like

http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/ordering/st..._CustomSea.html

Dont worry hun. I always give a fare warning :D

Guess what ,the product has been dicontinued, oh well.does anybody know any other uv models

This is the one that took its place

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/produc...3247&pcid1=2885

I didn't realize that mine was gone. :(

So if I were to buy that uv sterlizer would a 100 bucks do it for the shipping and all the other stuff because I don't seem to understand what else I have to pay for apart from the price of the item itself?

Guest PondCometer

I have a TetraClear UV Sterilizer in my Pond and basically the water that has been filtered through the canister filter passes through the UV Sterilizer before returning to the pond

UV's are not cheap. be ready to pay 1/3 the cost of the unit in bulb changes every six months to a year. if your UV is 100 bucks, the replacement bulb (which looses its effectiveness over time ie 6months to a year) will probably run 30-40 bucks. did you check out Drs Foster&Smith?

UV's are not cheap. be ready to pay 1/3 the cost of the unit in bulb changes every six months to a year. if your UV is 100 bucks, the replacement bulb (which looses its effectiveness over time ie 6months to a year) will probably run 30-40 bucks. did you check out Drs Foster&Smith?

Nope I haven't ckecked out Dr. Fosters.... but I'le do it right now :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest easycruise
I have a turbo-twist 3x 9W for my 40 gallon tank and I love it. I use a MicroJet Pump to pass water through it at around 50gph. The way it removes floating algae is to make it clump together for the filter to remove, so I have the UV dump the water into the top of my hob filter. It kills organisms and virii in the water by damaging complex molecules (dna, rna, etc).

Albert, how did you get the UV to dump the water into the top of your HOB filter? What kind of HOB filter do you have? I like your idea of doing it this way and would like to know more.

Thanks

Dave

Archived