Pic Of The Marine Tank

fishfelice

Here's a pic (sorry it's not very good) of the tank thus far. As you can see there is still some algea clinging on to everything, but it is worlds better than it was when I got it. I couldn't see anything- there was a thick layer of mossy algea covering every surface!! It's not totally clear yet but it's getting there. I ran water tests and it says it's not cycling- that is if I did the tests right and they are accurate.

Well, I definately want some algae eating things. I want some of those tiny hermit crabs that crawl all over! There is already two clowns in the tank and it would be neat to get them a host anemone. As far as fish go I'm not sure. I don't want to have many so the tank will be easier to mantain. I really like Gobys and blennies. I really want a snowflake moray eel but they would eat the fish wouldn't they? Some blue chromis might be a good addition.

It's great to see your mini-reef coming along! :D

It's looking great! So much better than just a few days ago--what a change.

Check out fairy wrasses--they stay small, are lovely and some are reef-safe.

Totally OT--the pic in your sig--do you really have a fish that color? 'Cause dang, that's cool.

Thanks! The pic in my sig is my Telescope Eye, Hammer. He's actually orange and white but I used photo software to turn the pic purple. I used to have him blue but needed a change. :D He's my fave goldfish, but Lance comes in a close second.

I've had tons of ppl ask me if he's really that color! I'm thinking about making the pic more obviously fake just because I don't want ppl to think he's a dyed fish. :blink: No one's ever asked me if he's a dyed fish, they've only asked me if he's really blue/purple, so maybe it's not a prob. :)

The hill on the left is where the shrimp lives. He stays on that hill and knows all sorts of passageways through it. During feeding time he comes out to try to snag some flakes and he'll go inside it and come out the other side... it's cool.

post-60-1091839779.jpg

As you can see I'm still battling algea. Some of the sand has a lovely carpet of green and yellow algea. I will say though, there are various sponges and macro algea that are making a good come-back.

post-60-1091839873.jpg

I'd love to show a pic of him (he's so cute) but he didn't come out today. He shed his skin last night so I think he may be shy today, letting it harden maybe? He's sooo cute- he has these big long whiskers and cute black eyes. He kind of looks like a cross between a camel shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. I"m not sure what kind he really is.

I tryed to take a pic of him in his cave but my camera isn't good enough. :)

here is a pic of one of the spongey things growing out of the rock. They open during the day and close at night. There are two other things I discovered too that look like little feather dusters coming out of the coral. They react very quickly and as soon as the light goes out they shoot into the coral and when it comes back on they come out again.

post-60-1091996686.jpg

• Admin

Yep you got your self some great looking Feather Dusters, they eat the brime shrimp and small particles floating in the tank, great filter feeders :D

It's looking great! Some great color on those rocks. Neat that you have nice featherdusters--I found some itty bitty ones on my one chunk of LR (it's cycling my QT) and I was so excited I almost posted. (Then I decided that was too dumb. :-) ) When I say tiny, I mean maybe 1/8 inch--but they react just like yours!

Mine are tiny too! The above pic is a spongey thing I don't think it's a featherduster. Although it closes slowly when the lights go out and looks like an umbrella so I don't know if it's a sponge (do they move like that?) The featherdusters move very quickly when the light goes out!

The color was looking pretty good at the time of the pics. The coraline algea was really taking off. Now, however, dark green and orange-gold algea is starting to win out over the coraline again. :( I NEED to do something. The two snails and the shrimp are out all day cleaning. I think they are not enough to keep up with it though.

P.S. any new marine tank discovery would be interesting to hear, to me at least. :D

Guest wrasseman01

Your tank looks great I like how you arranged the rocks.

The shrimp does look to be a very healthy pepermint shrimp.

The spongy things are actually zoanthid corals.

Algae is an on going battle for most of us, use lots of herbavores to to stay ahead of the game.

Have fun,

Aaron :rofl2

Archived