Got Eggs Again Yay! With A Lucky Escape

Guest adampaul

Guest adampaul

Hi all

After my first batch died unfortunately baring 1 last month :D my goldfish layed eggs again, but i didnt notice this time. Since last time theyve had a new tank which is a lot larger and lots more larger plants. Anyway i was having a look at my fish yesterday and noticed a few eggs, so i quickly filled a bucket with water from the tank and pulled all the plants out. I left the bucket on the floor in the front room and ran up stairs to sort out the old tank for the try. I got back downstairs and youve guessed it, theyd started to hatch, and this was within a few hours, so i and they were extremely lucky i noticed.

I had no choice but to leave the bucket with all the plants in all night untill today. I didnt think there was many eggs on the plants, but WOW !!! I pulled the plants out very carefully, untill id got them all out, and there must be at least 130+ i cant believe it. This is the largest batch my eggs she has layed.

Ive just spent 2 hours fishing all the fry out into there new tank, im so stressed out and tired now :blink:

What i want to know is, am i doing everything correctly, i wanna make sure especially after last month.

The fry are in a tank 30 x 12 x 12

They have a small corner filter, like this 10891.jpg

The air flow is on very low

Ive already got my liquifry ready from last time.

The temp in the tank today is 74 F

Is there anything else i can do, or that ive missed?

Thanx

Congratulations!! :happydance

Sounds you have done everything right so far. WHat I would do is keep them stressfree as much as you can - no more moving (the tank size you are discribing sounds like a 20 gl, so thats fine), and when doing water changes, add the new water as slow as possible. Airline tubing works fine for this kind of water change. That way the new water enters VERY slowly, and there isn't any shock from it to the fish.

Feed them around 5-6 times a day, but be careful not to add too much of the liquifry, not that the water quality suffers. If you wonna give them some extra food, there are frozen baby brine shrimp, freshly hatched, in petstores now, in the freezer department, in little cubes. Or you can try hatching them yourself.

Or, have a bucket of water standing out in the sun and let it get green from the algae. Every day you can add a little from that algae water in your fry tank (dechlorinated of course), they love to eat that as well.

Good luck with the fry!.....Keep us posted how they develop!....

What are the parents?

Guest adampaul

Thanx for that Ranchugirl

The parents are just common goldfish, but are truely excellent at breeding, this is the forth time this the female has layed eggs.

Ive put the new babies in the tank with the other baby from last months batch, so im already adding liquifry although i know they wont eat this for 3 days.

Another question how often should i do the water changes in the fry tank? and how much should i do? is it the same as for adult fish 10% once a week? thats what i did with the other fry's water.

Many thanx

Guest adampaul
How big is that baby from the last batch? You don't want to go about having him pick on the new fry!

Hi there,

Its actually not much bigger, over the last week or so theyve been on a different diet and are growning really fast, and its very hard to tell which ones which now, although i do have a good idea which it is, but cant be 100% sure.

I'd been feeding the baby liquifry but hadnt grown much but it had survived. I dont think ill ever use this again, as it didnt work for my fry, and i blame this for the last lot dying, i do think they starved to death, partly my fault i know, but you learn by your messtakes. Ill pop some pics on soon when i get my video camera back off my bro.

Thanx for asking :D

I would do more, but smaller water changes, especially since the fry need more feedings than adults. What I did with my betta fry is a slow bubbling sponge filter. Its nothing than a clover leaf shaped sponge from the pet stre (they come in all shapes, depending on what size tank you have, and the clover leaf shaped one is the biggest one), connect that to an airpump, put a regulation valve in between and turn the valve until only one slow bubble per second comes out. Thats enough to keep the sponge filter going, but it won't disturb the fry with too much current. There is hardly any current at all with that method.

The sponge is strictly biologial filtration, but a little waste will get trapped under the sponge, so all you have to do is vaccuum that out with a piece of airline tubing when the fry gets bigger. Don't wonna suck up any fish accidentally! .... :lol:

Oh, and forgot to add- some other excellent fry food are microworms. They are about the same size than freshly hatched brine shrimp, but are a lot slower to swim, and live longer, so even a slower fry will be able to catch them. YOu can get microworm starter cultures on Aquabid.com or a store called Aquaticecosystems (Aquaticeco.com). You can keep them going with yeast and oatmeal forever.....

Archived