Sign in to follow this  
pumpkin

Worried About Common Plec

hi all - and of course Kev ;)

my common plec was most unhappy having been moved to another tank - however in the last week he's become a lot more active again.

however having just looked at him, as he's visable at the mo, i've noticed that he has what looks like some fine white wispy hair coming from his head!?!

as it smoving around with the water current, it almost looks like he's smoking!!

i cant see any signs of an injury or disease on him.

anyone know what this could be?

tank params all fine.

only in with tetras and cory's - so no-one likely to pick on him.

any thoughts on course of action or concerns??

thanks in advance

amanda

really????

but i thought they literall ylooked like little anchors?

its several inches long, and like fine mesh, hair like - its so fine it just looks like smoke drifting thru the water in the current. really hard to explain.

i was wondering could he have scratched himself on his driftwood? as he's rather fond of it, he could have perhaps scraped his head - i am dragging bizarre scenarios out of my head here...

ah, thanks for the pic - based on that i'd say definately not anchor worm - cant think of better way to describe it...????

:rolleyes:

Did you try pulling them off? im not so sure what it is....

Does it look like it's buging him/her?

Guest charlie_tuna

How long has it been since you switched tanks on the pleco? Was the water conditions that you changed him from diffferent to his new tank?

Guest PondCometer

My first was some sort of parasite like Black_Oranda said..maybe early stages of it?

hi pumpkin! :)

this sounds sort of odd. :blink:

how many of these strands are there?

how long are they?

do they look thin like hair or like slime trails?

can you try to describe the "stuff" in better detail?

could it be something that just kinda got stuck on the rough spikes of his skin?

when hes on the glass, do you see anything abnormal about his mouth?

when you look at his head, does he have pronounced indentations on either side just behind his eyes? or is it well rounded?

post back soon! :unsure:

Edited by toothless

hey toothless!

frankly it is odd

the strands are really really fine, as in i cant tell if they are individual strands, or whether the clump looks this way!?!

there a couple of inches long, say about 2.5"

definately hair, not slime - looks like a cross between hair and smoke - like how smoke comes from a cigarette

i like the idea that it could be something stuck on his spikes!

he doesn't look unwell at all, he's not as active as he used to be since moving him to a smaller tank - its not a long term solution - but had to be done as he decided one day to attack my telescope fish - even though they have lived happily together for ages!

his head is well rounded, and area around his eyes seem fine - i cant see any physical signs of illness.

the tank params are the same as his other tank in terms of temp, ph, kh, gh - no ammonia and less than 20mg nitrates, no nitrites.

he has his old favourite archway in there, which he loves, and some drift wood - which he also loves.

he seemed to really sulk when moved - tho he has gone from a 96 litre to a 60 litre - and didn't really move much for the first wk, but in last couple weeks he seems more settled. has always eaten his food ok.

he is currently around 6" long.

can no one please moan at me about the fact that he should be in a larger tank - i know, i'm hoping to have him re-homed (nudge and wink to kev! :hi )

thing is toothless, that he's currently on the back of his archway - so i cant get a fresh look at him - so cant say anymore at this point - or whether its some stuff stuck to his spikes.

do you have any thoughts??

Could you post a picture? Did you try takeing these things off yet?

(Hmm sorry to be telling you this you hopefully i don't sound mean :blink: you shouldn't be keeping a common pleco with your goldies,like you said he attacked your goldfish and when it starts it doesn't end he will try to suck the goldfish'd slime coat off and loads of other bad stuff....)

Heylooooooooooooooooooo.

BO, dont worry m8.... he's in with tetras and corys..... not goldfish... it says it up there ^

Hey pumpkin hun !

Ummmm, this sounds rather bizare... but maybe its a form of algae ? hornwart possibly.... he coulda picked it up off something, and it would VERY easily attatch to a pleco, esp if he hasnt been moving aorund alot.... do you want me to come see him ? Oh and do you have any other strange algae's around the tank ? esp anything similar....

Kev

Edited by Kev

hey babe!!

well not really any sign of any algae at all in this tank!!

would be cool if you could come and see him - though he's hard to see at times - plus i've just tried to look at him, and i cant see the stuff this morning - so maybe it was something attached to his spikes??

if he is ok, which i'm fairly sure he is - have you still gotta a nice big tank he could move into - i want him to go to someone i know and trust - am very fond of the fella, dont really want him to go - but he will be much happier in a bigger tank, probably get back to his old self within no time!!

A

Not sure what it is but here try some of these sites. Maybe you can find them there. I know some of them are gold fish sites but well maybe it can help.

fish

fish2

fish3

fish4

fish5

But if you do have a pic post it.

Edited by Kagome100

hi all

i think my Mr Henry is absolutely ok!!

i think that toothless hit the nail on the head with something being attached to his spikes!

upon closer inspection, for the last few days i cant see anything on him - but at the same time, i couldn't figure out what it could be that would be attached to him looking like that.

however i have just noticed that my onion plant isn't looking too healthy - and the leaves have turned pale amd one of them has gone whispy - so i think that a bit of broken dying onion plant had got attched to him!!!

good detective work once again!!!

i can almost hear the quincy theme tune coming back again!!

thanks for all advice - i'm so chuffed to realise that not only he is ok - but what must have caused it - i feel like having a party day!!!

though, sadly i must get on with my work... :rolleyes:

many thanks

amanda