Sign in to follow this  
snakebaby

Ranchu Spawning Potential

Hello!

Just wanted to share! I have a trio of black Ranchus that I've been conditioning to spawn with the coming full moon. We are 4 days out ot from it and there is a LOT of pre-spawning behavior going on. Following, bumping, etc. I'm VERY excited!! I'm gonna drop the water level on Saturday if they don't spawn on their mops before then. WOOHOO!!!!

Tim

Wow, that sounds great!! Just curious - how do you condition them?

I was given info at the goldfish breeders group at Yahoo that said 50% protein food for 3 weeks before the full moon would get them into spawning condition. I've been feeding tubifex, earthworms, and my special blend of gel food. I used salmon, peas, rabbit pellets and oranges for it. It seemed to really make them fill out nicely. The next step is two days before the moon, doing a water change, then feeding them white rice in addition to the food already served. I'm having a lotta hope for this. I've wanted to do it for so long.

Tim

THere is a goldie breeders group at yahoo? I never saw that one. Would you mind if you could give the group to me? You can email it to me if you dont' wonna have it named here.... :)

I hope u get eggs soon and then frys!!!

THanks, Tim!! I found some very familiar names there already! Thats a great group!! :rbanana

whats with the full moon thing? it definately helps the fry grooming the parents. keep us updated!!!!

it's what I was told tended to trigger the spawn. As they get closer to the day, I have seen more following behavior, although I've been conditioning during that time too, so who knows? I'm still hopeful. I'll hopefully have good news Saturday morning. Or maybe Sunday Morning. We'll see.

Tim

Next full moon is at the end of August. I will give it a try with my wakin. I know for sure there is at least one male and 2 female in there, the other three, I don't have a clue!.... :)