Controlling Snail Populations

Athena

Just thought I would let anyone know how to control their snail population if they've got trumpet snails, etc. that breed too fast.

1) pick them out manually

2) throw lettuce or algae wafers into the tank at night and a couple hours later collect the snail covered lettuce or algae

3) chemical, except I don't recommend this

4) tear down the tank in extreme conditions

I only took all the gravel out of my tank because the previous owner only cleaned the gravel once a month and the snail population was majorly out of control. And when I'm talking out of control there were literally hundreds of them. There was sooo many dead snails and poop. The dead snails made up a third of the gravel. It was disgusting! :ignore

• 2 weeks later...

I just find that they're so great to have for turning over the gravel so that the bacteria. Mmmm... can't remember the word for bad bacteria doesn't accumulate in the tank. Also, they eat all the excess food, decaying plant material, etc. By eating all this waste they reduce the "food" for algae as well. They do make a good addition as they help balance the aquarium ecosystem.

Guest Lady_Eros

cory cats also eat snails, along with weatherloaches from what I have read, I've not had a huge snail problem in my tank and I have a weatherloach. I have a couple here and there, but nothing out of control :)

Guest Lady_Eros

the cory cats at work all end up having tons of empty snail shells in their tanks and all the other tanks are plagued with them!

Archived