Fry! Help!

fishies12

A raccoon ate 2 of my goldfish and i moved my other remaing goldie into a tank to keep him safe till we had the raccoon thing under controll so no fish where in my pond for the past 2 weeks and then today i see 2 little fry swimming!!!!!!!!! so they must have been laid right before their mommie died and they were able to survive because no fish were in there. they are about .5 inches (a little bit under) and are brown they are so cute and i can even see their little twin tail and their little eyes, gills, and pectoral fins! anyway i am completly in the dark about rasing babies so i havelots questions

what do they eat?

how much should i feed?

should i remove them from the pond?

what will a oranda fantail mix look like?

and any advice or tips are very greatly apreciated!

Wow, surprise fry are the best!!

Considering that they are already a bit bigger, and survived, I would say they found food all on their own. At that stage, the pond is full of microorganism that they can eat their little hearts out, as well as algae growth on the pond walls.

To give them a little extra, you can have smaller brine shrimp, frozen chopped bloodworms (the frozen food is really good for them, it contains a lot of protein and is easily digestable), but if you are not "into" worms, the crumble up some of the food you are feeding your other fish, and the little ones will be just fine. There is plenty for them to eat in a pond....

I would only remove them to check up on their health - you know, the basics - like are they deformed, everything where its supposed to be, no missing fins, etc. Otherwise, the pond is actually the best environment for them, lots of natural food, sunlight and so much more water than in a tank!

As for the mix of an oranda and a fantail, they are pretty similar fish, except for the headgrowth of course. So you migh thave fish with a little less headgrowth, or a more pronounced tail like a oranda. Either way, finding fry is great! :happydance

I have some more questions

A frog just visted are pond and i was like how cool because i love frogs but then i realized he will eat my fry won't he?

how do i no they are eating the flakes i don't think they are it is such a big pond it is hard to tell?

how many times to i feed them in a day?3?

i am going on a vactaion for 2 weeks (a week from now) i am having a freind come once a day to feed my fish should i have her come more for fry?

How long will it have to be till they can stay with my other goldies (the biggest being 4inches)?

anyone?

i have decided i will eathier get a net divider in my tank and have them be in the non filter part or getting a small tank to put them in and putting gravel and other stuff from my already cycled tank so i don't have to worry about cycling. I am doing this because i am worried about the frogs and we are going on vacation soon so i can't keep removing the frogs. also i have a feeling they aren't eating the flakes and i want to closely monitor them. so should i got with divider or 6 gallon tank?

Archived