Sign in to follow this  
pumpkin

Sick Black Neon

i've set up a small tropical tank, with a mixture of neons, glo lights and black neons and few harlequins.

i lost one of the neons within 24 hrs of buying it - i could see it wasn't well, swimming alone at the top and had some kind of lump developing on one side near its gill, so i removed it before it passed away.

now i have a sick black neon, its been ill for about 3 days. it cant balance as normal, has its head pointing up all the time and appears to be juddering its head a lot. its not eaten. its hanging around in the java, to help stabilize its self.

no visible marks, lumps or loss of scales or fins.

i've been putting a daily dose of Myxazin in the tank since i noticed the fish was unwell.

there has been no improvements though.

wondered whether anyone could shed some light on what it might be?

what is my best course of action?

could this be neon tetra disease?

:(

amanda

it sounds like swim bladder disorder i would treat it like you would a goldfish fast him for 2 to 3 days and then feed him a diet of peas (or i have heard daphina will work too). and i would not be neon tetra disease because he is not a neon tetra.

Guest Lyndzi

Can we have all of the tank specs please? Including your test results..

Could just be a bad batch of fish,

what is myxaxin?

hi, thanx for the replies.

tank is as follows:

60L heated to 27c /80f, fluval 2plus and an IPF duo filter running, several plants and bogwood, plus all the normal hiding places.

inhabitants:

5 neon tetras, 4 black tetras, 4 glolight tetras, 3 harlequins, two cories and a pl*co.

all other inhabitants fine.

in reference to NTD, i've read that any type of tetra can get it, it was just first discovered in the neons, but is by no means exclusive to that sort. i did have 6 neons, but within 24 hrs of getting them i could tell that one of them wasn't well, appeared to be developing a lump on one side. i removed it, and within a few hrs it died.

tank params :

PH - 7.6

KH - 6d

GH - 10d

NO2 - 0

NO3 - 25mg

so what do you think guys?

pumpkin- i stand corrected i thought i read somewhere online that NTD was exlcusive. but i thought it was when they just suddenly die

Unfortunately, Neon Tetra disease seems uncurable. Although there are products on the market which claim to cure this disease, I have found through other people that none have a really good success rate - maybe controlling the symptoms until the inevitable comes, and the fish dies. Also, NTD can be contageous to the extremes.

Myaxin is a "broad-spectrum bactericide" - which treats several diseases. However, unless you know what you are treating it may cause more stress to that fish (and all your other livestock) than it does good.

I would perhaps suggest that you seperate this fish to a hospital tank if this is possible, and treat for swimbladder as mentioned above (fast for 2 days, feed cooked, squished peas). That way, you can see if the condition is stable, and get to keep a closer eye on any changes in symptoms!

Best of luck!