Are They Spawning?

Guest Bubbles76

Guest Bubbles76

Ok, I've noticed something lately, and I'm not sure if I just have a bossy fish or a fish trying to mate.

I have a Shubunkin who seems to pushes my other fishes around. I've noticed he does it the mostly with the Oranda. He will every now and then push some of the comets around too.

When I mean pushes, I mean....the Shubunkin sticks it's nose area in the back of the tail area of the other fish. It looks like giving someone a shove. Weird.

Someone told me they might be mating.....is that true?? I've only had them for 2 months! I don't see any white pimples on his head, but he is multi-colored (black, white, and orange)

I didn't notice it until lately. They are still little in size (maybe 2 inches).

They're still babys! :crp

Sounds pretty much like breeding behavior to me! :rbanana

A male doesn't neccessarily have to show breeding stars on him to be ready to breed, and when it comes to size,well.....

I bought a dozen or so ranchus last year in March, all babies from the same breeder. Over the course of a year,they all have grown, exept one. He moved upwards probably 1/2 inch, not more than that, and if you would see him, you would think its a baby.

Does the oranda show any sign of stress - trying to hide, lethargy?

Archived