Mini Reef

Mr. TD

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is that cool looking thing? A fish? :heart That blueish one from the page before? It says "fire"..... :unsure:

Yep, thats the one! It looks stunning, I just can't figure out what it is..... :unsure:

Guest jonritteri

i dont know if anybody has said it but add a skimmer if at all possible.you never see the success without one that you see with one running on the tank.they are the most worthwhile filter you can have.thanx

• 1 month later...

I'll Chime in also on this one...

No skimmer in needed on a nano reef infact a skimmer can cause much more damage on a nano reef tank then on a tank with out one. i have a 12 and a 10 gallon nano reef runnning just handy dandy with out one. as long as you keep up frequent water changes there is no need for a skimmer. Skimmers pump to many gallons per hour to do any good and what it ends up doing is adding the nutrients back into the tanks so it would defeat the purpose.. Now mind you there are tons of opinions on this subject out there and there are people that DIY there skimmers on there nanos and Modify the pumps so it pumps less, But that would be a preference not a priority. As long as you maitence your tank on a regular basis your good to go.

RAZ

• Admin

Personally if you can get the Nano Cube this is the easy way of setting it up. Then I would get the Live sand and some sand, this will help the tank cycle faster. Then you will need Live rock, Let this go with nothing in the tank for 2 months, Making sure your checking for:

Calcium

Alkalinity

Ph

nitrates

Phosphates

And at the beginning

Ammonia and nitrites....

you want the Calcium to be around the 400-450ppm

Alk=10-12ppm

Ph=8.2-8.4

Nitrates=0

Phosphates=0

and of course ammonia and nitrites=0

In this tank I have you want to take out the bio balls and carbon in the tank. You will not need any of those things to get it going in fact it will cause a problem with the phosphates and nitrates so don't use them :(

:D Heather and I were looking at saltwater tanks on Thursday. It was so awesome!!! I was pointing out species that you have...We got to see the Hermies with blue legs and the ones with the red legs!!! So cool!!! I could not believe how many Starfish kinds there are!! I loved one that they called a Choco chip Starfish!!! It reminded me of you!!! :yeah: I could look at your pics all nite!!!!

WOW!! now i know i definately want one!! how do you get all that stuff on the rocks? i know nothing at all about how things occur in the nano tank :lol:

Yea i agree..koko's Nano is one of the most beautiful nano's over on our site... My members are always so glad to see koko post her nano pics.... great job once again koko!!!!!

RAZ

Archived