Mini Reef

Mr. TD

• Admin

Well everything is going good except this silly brown algae on the rocks and sand..... I have feather dusts coming out of the live rocks and some other creatures yet to figure their names.... :lol2

The only thing I wanted in this tank is the snails, clown fish, and allot of animals (plants ) in there.......

Yep its the Nano cub and I was told that we don't need a protein skimmer with this one.... :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wrasseman01

hi Koko, protien skimmers are probably the most recomended piece of equipment suggested to reef keepers besides proper lighting.

By (plants) what do you mean (corals)?

By using good cured live rock yuor tank can easily handle a light bio-load, be it hermits, snails or a small fish. Aquariums generally don't establish very well with just live rock.

All swing arm hydrometers need to be seasoned for 24 hrs. with salt water in order to give a close reading, and should be rinsed with fresh water after each use, or salt can build up on the float and give inacurate readings.

Even then they are usually off by a few points (like .001 - .004).

I also wanted to add to my previous post this one little comment especially if you are not sure about the employees at your LFS, If in doubt, leave it out. So if you don't know for sure if it is going to be compatible, don't purchase it till you know for sure.

Oh yeah the diatom algae is fun but just keep it stired up so the filter can remove it, and siphon it out when you do your water changes. It can take up to a year or longer for it to exhaust its food supply. Disstilled water can be of great benefit in helping control it because that is as about as pure as you can get.

have fun,

Aaron

• Admin

Thank you Hun :D

I have just added my first plants to the tank.....And will get some photos up soon....

First one is a Button coral (2)

Another one which I have no Idea what it is but my mom liked is so much so I got it....Its on a purple coral rock with green looking grass coming out of the little holes in the coral.

Another one is a button mushrooms there is three of them on one rock.

Then my last little plant is a bulb Enimie (pink in color)

Then I also got a Red fire shrimp and a golby.....Its been a great day shopping for this tank :D

The tank's looking great Koko!!! How much more are you able to put in there? Is that a hermit crab I see on the rock? If so,how many did you get and can you take pic of them? Everythhing's looking fantastic!!! :heart:D

• Admin

I have three hermits all of them are red armed ones

I also have three snails that I don't know the name off :lol

And then a new snail that is a burrowing one that lives in the sand (I doubt that I will see him again ) :rofl

Then a Red fire shrimp. I will try to get a photo of him soon but hes really shy.

Then a gubby and hes very shy most of the time hes in the back of the tank.....

I have had so much fun making this tank up, its just all the testing thats got me worried and the different things people tell me I'm getting so confused :o

I saw three red shrimp today..I was amazed at how they were all red,but each were three different species. I know one type were much bigger and had some type of white lines on it. They were awesome though!!! I didn't see any hermit crabs, which kind of disappointed me though-I never saw the ones that live in saltwater. I ended up buying 4 more land hermit crabs! :rolleyes:

• Admin

There are so many Shrimp for Salt water its amazing.....I love the hermit crabs.....There great I will have to get some closer photos for you :D

Whoa, what great looking tank, KOko!! I especially love that yellow thing and the one underneath it. Some of those corals look just so great!..... :heart

Oh,I can't wait to see close-ups of the crabs!!!! I was just reading stuff about all kind of hermies,and they mentioned your guys too! :D

OMG!! OMG! Its amazing what beautiful things can fit into a 15 gl tank! That is one stunning looking tank, Koko! I just love that Mr. Grumpy Gills :lol1 and the anemone he swam out of! And the star polyp...

You guys are doing a great job with that tank, its beautiful! :heart

Archived