The Best Algea Eater

David Dude

Hi I have a 40gal,2 ten gals, and 1 five gal. One of my 10 gals has big algea problems and I wanted to know what I should get for the algea. I had heard that apple snails were good at eating algea. The tank has 1 ryukin in it thats about 2 in. long. any suggestions on what to get?

Hi I have a 40gal,2 ten gals, and 1 five gal. One of my 10 gals has big algea problems and I wanted to know what I should get for the algea. I had heard that apple snails were good at eating algea. The tank has 1 ryukin in it thats about 2 in. long. any suggestions on what to get?

Also I don't know the slightest thing about taking care of a snail :crp :(:idont

Snails are a great choice for algea control. You can also get plecos, not the common pleco 'cause it will kill ur ryukin. You can feed the snails vegetables (cucumbers, zuchini, luttuce, etc.) and fruits (apples, etc.).

Actually snails only eat algae if you provide them with no other food. Usually they only eat algae to keep from starving. I've heard Otos (or Ottos, Otocinclus) are excellent, I've had 2 in the past. Little buggers, they get no bigger than 2 inches long. And they eat algae exclusively, I'd recommend them.

Hi there David :hi

The only snail that realy eats algae is a baby snail and I mean a tiny baby..as they get bigger the only algea they like are algea wafers that you drop into the tank..but they are good glass lickers :ymmu

Snails are not clean animals they produce a awful lot of waste and I feel they are harder work than fish to care for properly as you have all the things to do as with fish water quality etc plus care for their shells too with calcium and other suppliments but I can bet my last quid if you decide to own snails you will get adicted and very quicky develop a condition known as snailsmusthaveus :rofl

This site for snails is great but to realy learn all there is to know before choosing to own a snail hop over to applesnail.net and read everything about snails and receive a warm welcome from the people there..I hope this has helped you but Airwen and I will only be truthful to you..a lot of people buy snails just to clean up their tanks and it just doesnt happen..Linda

my tank had a major algea problem and i put a ramshorn in there and the tank was clean in a few days. also physa actua only really like to eat algea (mine will never touch fresh stuff) but they are small and so you would need more than one but they are prolific breeders.

Archived