"naughty" The Snail

Erika

Oh this snail gives me fits. She's like a 2 year old in a snail body. Ya know what she's doing NOW???? Well, I couldn't find her. I'm checking the whole tank, moving stuff, etc. WEll, I found her finally, behind the filter outtake, but what I noticed when I was looking for her is that she has been laying eggs on the lights!! Upside down!! So apparently, she crawls out of the water, up the tank, then onto the "celing" to lay eggs!! I dunno. I leave plenty of space above the water for her. Do snails normally lay eggs all the time??? She does it about once a week!! Pink eggs. Plus, they gross me out, and my fish don't eat em. I tried to hatch em once, but nothing happened.

Errika

Keep at it with the eggs our lady snails sometimes have infertile clutches till they get it right..practice makes perfect I guess LOL..and yes 2 of my girls have a thing about laying eggs upside down...I have observed my oldest female Shaz going back to the spot she lay in as if to say "yep they are still here" and if I have moved them she then tries a different place..little does she know I am avidly waiting for her babys to hatch..I have 4 females and yes they do lay about once per week..do you have a male in there with her??..if not and she has been mated in the pet shop she should be hmm running out now..if anyone wants to breed the snails here are some tips on hatching the eggs..Linda

Scrape the eggs off with a credit card and put them in a tupperware container on damp kitchen roll make a tent with the kitchen roll a piece or two on the bottom then a couple more pieces over the top of the clutch,I keep mine floating in the tank water were it is warm ,keep the clutch moist but not wet..they may need a ocasional water spray.There are many different ways to do it...some float them on the top of the tank on polystyrene keep them moist also and some people make hamocks from old ladies hair nets over the side of the tank...keeping them away from the eager mouths of the fish LOL..whatever method you choose it is wonderfull to watch the babys emerge and drop into the water to start a new life.

She's the only snail. She's been laying eggs about once a week. I've had her since the beginning of June. So you think she's about done with laying eggs then? Or are they like chickens and lay eggs all the time whether they're mated or not? :blink:

She's an apple snail, exactly what kind, you know better than I do, actually you told me what she was before. She's about tennis ball sized, brown with stripes, and lays eggs that are pink.

Archived