Salt Water Tanks...

pm94

Start a new topic and share your expiriences with the

rest of us. :)

Well, since the Nemo movie came out, a new craziness with salt water fish has begun (Anybody remember the run for dalmatians after 101 Dalmations?), and I have thought it for a while.

Its just so much more to consider than with freshwater fish - skimmers, chillers, salt content, care of corals and live rocks, etc......And the fact that a lot of the salt water species are not exactly cheap either.

I will most likely have one in the future, its just not something I go run and get tomorrow. I keep admiring them from the far, mostly the stunning colors that you never see in a freshwater fish!.....:rbanana

:D Thank god my mom isn't picking out what type of fish and aquariums

i want or else i wouldn't be here really.... (on a goldfish site)

My mom is crazy always wanting me to get slat water fish or tropical

but the sad thing about it is that they cost so much and i find it kinda sad since

they don't seem to see you ... there into doing there own stuff i guess not like

goldies at all.

When i go to the pet store and go into the salt water room i enjoy seeing the fish sim by full of color :)

:o andrea take that back ! you seen the colour in my malawi tank latelly ? :blink:

Reef tanks are cool though, will be doing one soon

:crp No, Kev, I haven't (at least I don't remember). Geez, I hate it that my MSN messenger doesn't work anymore, I miss you sharing all those fish pictures!!... :cry1

Someday I will get a saltwater tank, but it's not on the top of my list if you know what I mean. ;) But I do love looking at people's reef tanks and the fish store tanks (yeah.. healthy fish there... note the sarcasm) but once I'm rich and retired I'll get one. :D

Well you have the opposite problem of me! I wanted to put together a 30-gal (tank and most of the supplies are sitting in the attic) but my mom goes "No." so flatly. Then she names a whole bunch of reasons why I shouldn't. Of course, she was against the pond and my current tank, so...?

:huh: would love a marine tank but dont have time to keep one aswell as all my other tanks, i do however have a 70 litre brackish tank with a stunning spotted puffer !! :D

• 5 weeks later...
Guest pondgirl

Hi, I have 2 - 60 gallon saltwater fish tanks. One is a reef and one is a fish only. I have had mixed success with both, but DEFINATELY recommend them. They really are adicting though. I have been reefin now goin on 6 years, so any info you need, I got it for ya. Personally I would recommend at least a 75 gallon to start, and NO less, because the cool fish you'll want need at least that much space, but most need at least 120 gallons of free swimming space, like most large angels, and tangs, and whatnot. I would definately recommend getting metal halides for lighting, not power compacts, and sand for the substrate, Southdown sand works fine. A sump is best for filtration, and a refractometer instead of a hydrometer for reading the salinity is best. If you are interested in starting up a reef or just a fish only then send me an email at alison19782004@yahoo.com, and I'll give you some info and websites to start at. Saltwaterfish.com is the best saltwater site outthere, so go there for info on salt also. Good luck, pondgirl

Guest fishfreek6

i would agree with pondgirl they are highly addicting. i have a 30 gal tall reef tank with 2 cardnels and a dottyback and crabs hermits and a pair of breeding cleaner shrimp and an RTB anenimie (srry i dont know how to spell it). all you really need for a reef tank or fo is lots of patience, but they arnt much harder than freshwater. see my tank pic below

-kyle

• 1 month later...
Guest jonritteri

i have two.a 60 gal reef and a 37 gal reef.very rewarding to see the tank take off and grow.my 60 has been up for less than a year and just looks amazing (tooting of my own horn)

• 1 month later...

Well lets see... lets list them out...

1- 10 gal. nano reef w/ 2 damsels

1- 12 gal. nano reef w/ 2 Oc. clowns

1- 70 gal. reef tank

1- 240 gal. reef

And in the work a 300 gal inwall system

U could say im addicted LOL

RAZ :blink::wub: :rbanana

Thanks.... Ill be out of the office for the day but ill chime in tonight when i get home from running around.. have a wonderful day will chime in more on some posts tonight looks like a friendly bunch...

RAZ :yeah:

• 2 years later...

Archived