Fish Spawning Behaviour

Guest vixen_vc

Guest vixen_vc

Hi,

Yesterday I oticed that my blue oranda was chasing my red cap relentlessly, and also my ryukin was trying too. Both with their noses at her bum. She was trying to get away all the time and lose them. I presume this is spawning behaviour but the red cap is only 4inches tail to head and probably not much more than a year old and the blue is only 6/7 monthes old, and about 3 inches.

As my partner bought me a new fish yesterday anyway I decided to put the red cap in another tank with only a black moor for company which I thought was female but started sniffing her bum as well! The moors probably a year and a half. I didn't mind the moor chasing her as he has bad eye sight and it was easy for her to lose him! However the chasing stopped after about two hours and the moor is not bothering her at all. There are no eggs so I am wondering what has happened!

Please help,

Thanx

does sound like breeding behaviour to me :D sometimes, nothing becomes of the ritual but maybe next time you will have eggs! my guinness was chasing blaze constantly for months until he realised he wasnt getting anywhere and started with another females and got a result first time :lol: dont give up hope they will never breed. sometimes when they are disturbed they stop breeding behaviour. the latter case of your problem sounds like they may have just been asserting whos boss but maybe they just felt like they werent ready to be parents yet! :rofl

Guest vixen_vc

So what will happen to the eggs now inside of her she's getting quite swollen. I'm thinking of putting her in a tank with one of the chasing males so it encourages her to lay and so she doesn't get egg bound - good idea bad idea? Thanks for your help!

Archived