Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

Why Is It Always The Albino Cory's?

I have my tropicals tank cycled for 6 or 7 months now, and all the fish are fine - except the albino cory's. No matter where I get them from, after I buy them they last about 4-6 weeks, then they start to get lethargic, a few days after they kind of only swirl around in the tank, and then they die. This is the 3. cory that goes like that, everybody else is fine. No problems with the tetras, mollies, guppy, nothing. Its always only the cory's.

I wonder since they are all over the gravel all the time, if they could too much of the substrate that pokes out here and there... :unsure:

I finally switched to a very smooth pea gravel mixed with sand for my substrate. The other substrate wore down their barbels. If they get worn off they can actually starve to death. Have you noticed that on the ones that have died?

I have also heard barbel erosion caused by bacteria in the gravel bed. When you gravel vac do you get down deep to get everything? I dont because my tank is planted but Ive never had a problem.

I also do know that sometimes corys can be very sensitive to water conditions but since your tank is completely cycled that shouldnt be the problem. I have lost some pandas in teh time Ive kept mine but I know that they are one of the more sensitive species. Im not sure about the albinos as I have never kept them.

One last note, what are you feeding them? Corys are actually carnivorous and in nature feed on worms and things so I make sure to feed them bloodworms regularly and make sure plenty get down to the gravel for them to eat. Hope this helps. ;)

I thought I was the only one who lost all corys... I have a 15g planted tank setup. Its been running for almost a year. Plants (Java fern, Anubias nana, Anubias congensis, Vallisneria spiralis, Hygropyla, micro sword), Amano shrimp, red ramshorn snails, and fish (platys, tiger barbs, otto catfish) are doing great.

Every time I introduce corys (panda, peppermint, albino) they die in a matter of weeks. They don't even swim at the bottom, but are always swimming up and down until they do exactly what Ranchugirl described and then die.

I blame the substrate (fluorite) because of sharp edges... but the plants just love the substrate so I am staying away from corys. Has anybody raised corys using fluorite as substrate???

I asked a friend of mine who keeps cory's and yes, apparently the substrate can wear down the barbels and so starve the fish. He recommends moving over to a sand-based bed in the tank. Did I see you say you have a planted tank though? If so, sand would be no good to you!

Do you keep any other cory's than albino? If so, are they ok?

Thanks everybody! :)

Jen, when I vaccuum the gravel/florabase mixture, I do not go down all that deep, probably less than an inch. I read somewhere that when you have plants in the tank, there is no deep vaccuum neccessary, since the plant roots do all the soaking up of stuff. Its quite a heavily planted tank with cork screw valisnerias, 2 anubias nana, jave ferns, one java moss, cabombas, anacharis, about 8 or so from the bulb plants that Koko sent me, a few red leaved plants (no clue on what they are, but they look very pretty), some sort of low growing grassy looking plants that spread new roots and plants in the gravel.

Not knowing that cory's like worms, it might also be that they don't get all that much to eat since the main diet are tropical flakes, and those hungry fish don't let go much down to the gravel. I found my last cory spending a lot of time resting on one of the lily kind of leaves from 2 plants that started out as a bulb, and they grew up to the surface of the tank like a lily.

Dave, albine cory's so far were the only ones I tried. Maybe I go for a panda cory the next time, they are a tad bigger, and put them in a goldfish tank instead. There is no gravel there, just big river rocks where they can easily swim under.... :)

Kingyo, did you completely give up on cory's

Yes, I gave up on them... I feel terrible not being able to raise them properly. I still need a bottom feeder in that tank.

I still need a bottom feeder in that tank.

Yeah, me too. I was thinking of putting one of my dojos in there, but those little buggers would uproot any plant in sight, since they love digging in the gravel so much..... ;)

I would definitely not put pandas in with goldfish. They are even more sensitive and theyre a dwarf variety and top out at about an inch and a quarter.

I have a layer of coarse sand on top of my gravel. Some gets a little mixed in but there are patches of sand for them to dig through. Since I switched over to more sand their barbels have come back and I havent lost one. (knock wood) The species I currently have in there are panda, trilineatus, similis and melanistius.

Anyway the corys were one of the main reasons i set this tank up so I wanted to be sure to keep them properly, but I also wanted plants. The gravel with sand on top is a good compromise, I feel.

I don't like the look of sand in my tank. I had that once in my turtle tank, and it clogged up the filter all the time. Of course, a thin layer wouldn't do all that much damage, its just the looks then that I don't like all that much.

A cory in the snail tank then - what damage could a snail do?! Run over the fish in snail speed.... :rofl

Guest Lyndzi

I used to use a gravel that had pieces of coloured glass in it, my cories barbels are fine.

My albinos are super active like you described, all over the tank, but never looking sick.

What temp is your tank at?

The tank has 80 degrees, thats the way its gonna stay basically all year long (Florida winter come and go :lol: )

Guest Ceridwen

Now you know full well Florida doesn't have winter, we just get a few cool days scattered in with the hot ones :P

Have you tried Tahitian Moon Sand? I've got it in my ram tanks and love it. Very pretty and I haven't had problems with it getting into the filter. I don't have cories but I've heard they adore it.

My cousin (5 years old) has a ten gallon tank with gravel, a filter, a swordtail, and one albino cory that has lived the entire time despite that the tank is not cycled and my uncle has done things like change them from water with a pH of nearly 9.0 to DI water from the grocery store (pH ~6.4) in one shot. Go figure.

hi, i've had four peppered cory's in with my two telescope fish since about last october. all are doing fine. i do have a thin layer of fine gravel, i feed them sinking wafers and frozen blood worm, the tank is kept at a fairly constant 26c (tho easily done even during the supposed british summertime!) and the cory's are doing fine,

i think albino cory's are the same time as the peppered, as in they are just the albino version - they are the hardiest of the breeds, and actually come from slightly cooler climates than some of the other types - maybe 80 is too hot for them? plus i would definately recommend feeding them sinking wafers, they love them - and its great watching them eat blood worms - they look like their sucking up spaggetti!!

i would avoid trying the panda's as they are supposedly much more delicate.

i also have a little cave for my cory's so they can take refuge or just relax from the constant greed of my two telescopes.

i dont know whether this is of any help - but good luck if you try again - oh, and obviously you should always have a minimum of about 4 or 5 - as they like to school, one on its own would suffer...

good luck

Amanda

Guest Lyndzi

Yup I would say temp if there are no other symptoms..

mine get sluggish around 78-79. They really do prefer cooler, about 75 (24) :)

Let us know if they start showing any other signs of sickness though.

Ceridwen, thanks! I will look into the moon sand.... :)

Pumpkin, there is plenty of stuff for the cory to hide in - an cavy looking ornament, overgrown with java moss, and two terra cotta pots laying on their sides.

thats cool that you have caves in there - but you still referred to it as places for THE cory to hide - does this mean that you only have one at a time?

i ask, as they are schooling fish, they like to be in groups of at least 4 of the same type - this could be another reason you are losing them. you could perhaps get away with two - though i've read that its best to have them in groups of odd numbers - though i've never read a reason for this!

(apologies if i've misread your text in anyway, and have got it wrong!)

if the above isn't a factor - then it must be the temperature....maybe.....

sorry if i'm being of no help at all!

Amanda

Guest squeeker

Jusst a few questions: can the same thing happen to the whiskers of weather loaches? And are Dojos and Weather loaches the same?

I just got a weather loach, and I have large-grained gravel in my goldie tank... and I don't want him to grind his whiskers off...

squeeker,

as long as the gravel is smooth and not sharp edged, your dojo (also known as weather loach) should be just fine. ;)

as far as cories and solitude go, i dont absolutely agree that they have to or must be kept in schools. ive got an albino cory that was kept in a 35 gallon tropical tank for almost 5 years. the only other fish in the tank was gouramis of different types/colors. he seemed to have thrived all by himself because he was always active and never got sick once. anyway, ive got him in my 55 gallon with a comet, pleco and a dojo. he was doing very well in my tank as well but, i eventually got him a couple of buddies (albinos) to hang out with. he still hangs by himself a bit but, he is often seen playing leapfish with his buddies too. :D

ive found that the best thing to do for bottom feeders/janitors is to feed a wide variety of sinking foods such as peas, broccoli (just the very tips), bloodworms, algae wafers, chopped or small mealworms, cooked shrimp bits and even baby crickets (drowned, so they sink).

paul

That's weird Andrea.... I think my albino corys are the only fish I have that I've never had problems with one time or another.... I have one that lived on his own for about 2 years, and Ijust recently got him some buddies.... 4 "green" corys, and one more albino. He loves it! We call him "Old Man", cuz he's older than any of my goldies. Don't give up one em. Maybe try another pet store? I love my corys, they are very entertaining, and love swimming around and teasing my dojos!! :lol:

No, ERika, I don't wonna give up on them - they are too beautiful!

After thinking about it, it might have been the food (or rather the lack of it), plus the gravel thing. I give it another shot with them, and buy 2 or 3 of them, just to check out the schooling theory.

Amanda, you were right, it was always just one cory at the time.... :)

So I did not give up after all... got a couple of panda corys in an fish auction. Will let you know how it goes