Sign in to follow this  
Lovely_Goldfish

Do Fish Look Smaller In The Tank Than Out

you will not believe this!

1. orange common I thought was 2 inches by looking with my eyes, took it out of the water because I had to transfer him to another tank. Measured him quick by laying him on a 6" clear plastic ruler. 3.25" including tail B) I knew right away that fish wasnt so small when I took him out of the water!

2. took out my bicolored orange, white common and that thing measured an even 4" and had body length of 3.25" too! I couldnt believe how large he got! both this and my orange common were one inch feeders last year from pet supermarket! Both were the same size but the white guy grows faster! more proof its in the genes!

3. my mostly white common I got as a 3" feeder from vvvv for 24 cents is now very nearly 6" :o I always thought he is about 4" but imagine my suprise when he was just about the length of the entire ruler! That fish sure pulled the net hard and spashed when I scooped him out, also he flopped a bit when I tried to measure.

4. I did not bother to measure any more fish because I felt sorry for those poor guys and felt no point in stressing any more of them. I can just look at that white common and compare the others side by side as they swim in the tank. thus my shubunkins must be like 5" and my orange comet/common I also got the same time with the white guy is easily 6.5" because of the slightly longer tail. My largest fish is that nnnnnn shubunkin I got that was 3.5" at most, now he may be 7" and I can easily see hes larger than my white common. my! those fish sure have grown nicely because I feed them 2x a day tons of food and do weekly water changes. Once I rent an apartment, they will grow out to about a foot in giant tanks :happydance

That's weird... may have something to do with refraction of light or just an optical illusion.

That is strange... Fish normally look bigger in a tank because of the natural outward bowing of the tank walls.

well hello everyone, long time no see! I cant believe its been just under two months since I last measured them but my, have they grown!

My bicolored orange, white common and that thing measured an even 4"

well I measured him yesterday and hes now 4.8 inches, 4" body length. Before that, he was 4 inches including tail, now hes 4 inches *excluding tail*

my mostly white common I got as a 3" feeder from vvvv for 24 cents is now very nearly 6"

well that thing is now 6.6 inches long! wow I couldnt believe my eyes either! I measured my other fish:

1. large white 6.6"

2. small white 4.8"

3. twist 7" total. 4.5" body

4. big calcio 6.5"

5. med. calcio 5"

6. whitish calcio comet 6"

7. whitish calcio common 4.5"

I didnt measure much of my fish before but measured all of them because they are now in my 34g tank now. Yes theres 15 fish living there, man its massively overstocked but thats because were setting up the 75 gallon tank. Yes you heard this right, I convinced my parents to let me upgrade my 45g tank(which I must sell) and I bought a 75g tank cheap. There is a small chance I may get an even bigger tank later on and sell that 75g but im still happy to make this upgrade. They still wont let me have more tanks but however they agreed a bigger tank wont take more room, itll sit on the same homebuilt table anyway. I also sold my three gray koi I was talking about and threw in 4 goldies. I am down to 24 now, 12 will live in my 75g with 6 each in my two smaller tanks :yeah::exactly

Yeah, it's amazing how fast fish grow! I think you actually don't notice how big they are until you pick them up with your hand. It just amazes me when I see pictures of fish in peoples hands and the hands can barely hold them! I hope they continue to grow because that's always a sign that they're healthy!

Robyn

My bicolored orange-white common which I last measured Sep 3 and I just measured Nov 26, Thats almost 3 months! hes a whopping half foot now! Remember my mostly white common? He stands long at 7.5" now! Ditto with my big calcio! My med. calcio is 6" both calcios grew an inch in less than 3 months! Finally my whitish calcio comet which used to be 6" is now 7.5"(measured last week too) of course I include tails in all measurments but give it time and I hope they all exceed a foot! :druel

WOW thats great Lovely!! :D

You must be very happy!!

With me, my goldfish look bigger in the water than they do out side of it. :blink: Could just be me though.

We all know how crazy I am! :yeah:

Well, to be honest, my fish look the same out of water. There is no difference, could it be the thickness of the glass?

It's great that you fish are growing well. What do you feed them? I have pearscales and they grow but very slowy. I have six in a 55 gallon tank at the moment. I want to measure them but I worry i might stress them out, but I'm pretty sure they growing, just not as quickly as yours.