Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishGoddess

I Saw Pink And Blue See Through Fish!

I saw the name, but now...They were pink and blue almost see though clear fish. Real pretty. Does anyone know the name and if they could live with goldfish?

Guest jekafoo
:( its sad actually..... they are painted glass fish.... the reason they have these colors is because whoever had these fish in the beginning (not nnnnnn I work for them and they just buy them from vendors) put dye into the fish.... I have not known it to physically hurt the fish but it cuts their life spans drastically. Beware of nnnnnn fish anyways, most are not healthy. I dont know where they purchase their fish from but they tend to get sick fast. If you want to purchase fish I recommend you do so from a pet shop. Thank you.

Guest jekafoo

also, I am not positive on their behavior when put with goldfish but i definetly would not recommend you to try.

Jeka is right, they are injected with dye and the stress of that can severely shorten their lifespan. They are actually beautiful fish in their natural state. They are a type of perch from South America, I believe. They require warmer water than goldfish and need to be kept in groups. If Im not mistaken they can also be nippy. They are not recommended to be mixed with goldfish.

There is another topic about dyed fish in general discussion that I would recommend you reading. It just tells about the different types of fish we've seen dyed and why we are against the dyeing process. You are free to make your own conclusions but I personally am completely against dyeing any animal.

Guest Pollock

They could also be skirted tetras - I saw some at my lfs that were pink and blue. I went home to research how to keep them, and realized that they were dyed, so I didn't end up getting them. Not only is dying a fish cruel, but it lowers the power of their immune system, and the dye usually wears off pretty quickly.

painted or not they are tropicals, not cold water. don't mix them with your goldies.

I know that there is one type of fish that are called strawberry and blueberry something. I've seen them in lots of different pet stores, never nnnnnn. I'm pretty sure this kind I'm talking about are naturally pink and blue, but I could be wrong.

Dreama, are those strawberry and blueberry tetras? Those are also dyed, but usually dyed very well so you can't tell unless you know that tetras aren't naturally those colors. There are VERY few freshwater fish that are bright pink or blue or green or whatever, so always be suspicious and do your research.

I know that there is one type of fish that are called strawberry and blueberry something. I've seen them in lots of different pet stores, never nnnnnn. I'm pretty sure this kind I'm talking about are naturally pink and blue, but I could be wrong.

I used to have Strawberry and Blueberry tetras, years ago before I knew they were dyed. And yes they are dyed.

It is so sad, mine actually lived alot longer than most, I had them for 4-5 years. Most die within a year or two and they lose their color within months of having them home. :cry1

Sorry I didn't see your post Mav. I thought Dreama post was the last. Oops!!

Edited by LaurieP