Got Eggs, But Will They Hatch?

Guest adampaul

Guest adampaul

Hi all

Ive been reading on here for last few days and gaining some info, and last night my goldfish layed eggs again for the 3rd or 4th time this year. As nothing happened the last few times, i would love to know if anyone can tell me if the eggs are fertile? Ive no idea you see, this is the first year my fish have layed eggs, and dont really know much when it comes to breeding fish. Id love to be able to get them to hatch, but really need to know if im wasting my time or not.

Ive attached a picture of the eggs and i hope youll be able to see if they are or not.

Thanx in advance

eggs

Guest laura

hi

its hard to tell whether your eggs have been fertilised, in my experience over the past couple of days they need to have small black dots inside them

after about a day or so, the unfirtile ones will go milky. those should be taken out as they are growing fungus that can pass onto the other healthy eggs. at the moment it looks like you have quite a few healthy ones so fingers crossed :D

Guest adampaul

Hey hey nice one :D

Ive read that the eggs should be clear, and these dont appear to be clear, more like very light brown colour, thats where i was getting confused.

Ill wait and see what happens, thanx guys :D

Guest adampaul

Hi all, just to update you that the eggs are fertile. At first i only thought i had about 11 eggs, but now ive noticed about 40 - 50 :D Ive actually been filming the eggs moving, which was very difficult to do, you can clearly see the eyes in the egg which move around inside, on another part of the video you can see the whole insides of the egg move :D

Im well chuffed, and i cant wait. i just hope that i get some that survive. Ill post the video and pics soon if anyone wants to see?

Thanx everyone

Guest adampaul

Hi all, just an update

The eggs hatched on the 10th and are 6 days old now and doing well. I think i have about 70ish fry :D

I cannot post the video yet, because my brother has borrowed my camera, but as soon as i get it back ill post it for you.

Heres a picture of my babies fry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adampaul

Just to give you an update, ive lost 99% of the babies, and ive only got 1 left which is doing well (i think) hes still swimming around, hasnt really grown much though and still very small.

I dont know what i did wrong, and i do feel gutted and a bit guilty really. But i did read that many of them will die anyway. The only thing that i didnt do was filter the water. I did do water changes but i guess its a mixture of the two that caused there deaths.

I hope my little tiddler survives, if not ill have to try again next time they breed. Ive got a new tank already for the next time.

Oh well.... you learn by your messtakes dont you.

God bless them

Archived