When Can Fry...

Guest squeeker

Guest squeeker

When can fry be put in an aquarium without worrying about them getting sucked into the filter? I have some Ryukin fry, the largest about 3/4 cm long... currently, they are in a 5 gal tank with an air-powered sponge filter, pretty gentle filtration... but I am anxious to move them to my 10 gallon tank with an aquaclear 150 filter. I assume they aren't big enough yet... but when will they be?

Thanks!

depends what kind of filter youre using. if its a small sponge one then they are fine from when they hatch

I have mine in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter running all the time and a filter that comes with the 10 gallon tanks when you buy them as starter kits running about an hour or two a day. The biggest is about an inch from tip to tip. The smallest about half an inch. I left it running all night over the weekend - opps. They were fine - they went to the farthest corner and "hid" behind the sponge filter.

Guest squeeker

No, it isn't a sponge filter... that's why I asked, it's an Aquaclear 150. You know, the kind that hangs off the back of the tank...

The fry are currently in a 5 gallon tank with a sponge filter, I want to move them to the 10 gallon with the other filter, but I just wanted to know when they should be big or strong enough to keep from being sucked in. I suspect they are still too small, and I don't want to kill them... but I am so anxious! This is my first exposure to goldfish fry... I can't believe how fast they grow!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

you could try buying an extra sponge filter insert(like for a tiny fluval-the filter foam is pretty cheap) and cut a hole in throuhg one end, using that to cover the intake tube of the aqua clear 150. This is what I do for the tank that had the snail with the disturbing obsession with getting sucked into the filter tube, and it has never been a problem since. if the sponge gets dirty, you can turn off the pump, during a water change, and clean the gunk out or replace with new spnge, so you don't have to worry about the babies getting sucked up.

Archived