Breeding Setup

Guest ed586

Guest ed586

Hi, I'm new to goldfish breeding. :scared I have discovered a few things I want, but will be getting some females soon who should be breeding in a month or two.

I will get about 25-30 gallons per fish for the adults.

I plan to leave the eggs/fry in an aquariu so I can watch them closely.

Question 1: How many gallons do I need for my fry? Do I need a lot to avoid ammonia, or little so they won't starve so easily. :blink:

Should I remove all filters? Should I replace with a bunch of airstones? What will prevent them from being sucked up into my filters or into the airstone current too much?

I'm basically looking for help in my set up. I have an area picked out and am ready for a ton of water changes when needed. I will get another aquarium and several tubs for when they grow. :nana

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions. :hi

id say you dont need much water per fry so id say about a 10 gal per 150 fry or something along the lines of that. avoid ammonia like the plague if you can. fry die at the slightest hint of ammonia so keep a really close eye on that. i wouldnt use any filters other than a tiny one with a sponge and if you can, kink the hose so the current isnt too much for the little ones. i would put an air stone in when they are about 1cm or so. have fun breeding! :panana

Guest ed586

Cool. So are several 10 gallon tanks good, or just 10 gallons per 150 fry in one big container?

The 25-30 gallons per firsh is for when they mature. I need a lot too, because they are sensitive American Veiltails.

:thanks :

Guest Orandaman

A 10 gallon would be perfect.

Some other things would be helpful are:

Ammonia monitor

Thermometer

Heater

Air pump

Airstone

Sponge filter

Plant (live or artificial)

Fry food

Ammonia should be monitored constantly. The monitor above is excellent to monitor harmful ammonia continually.

Temperature should be kept constant around 75F using a heater.

An airstone and pump to product a gentle aeration to assure well oxygenated water.

A sponge filter to help keep the tank clean

Plants to provide safe place for them to nest and hide.

Fry food to feed them 3 days after hatching.

and i forgot to say, until the fish are about 1 inch big only have the water at 6 inches or less because the weight of it crushes them. have a look in the research section, it has my piece on triggering breeding. you might find that helpful. :) (im not trying to plug myself by the way! :rofl )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ed586

What does one do with those 10-30 fishes you get? I'm thinking of getting 2-4 100 gallon containers. Is this needed? My vieltails can be disease free with 25-30 gallons each.

What do you think? My females will be here soon and one is full of eggs!

Thanks,

Ed

So, you get some girls from Al?! Maybe he can give you some hints as well.

I definetely wonna get some more as well, and the love has kicked in again, after one of our members from England has a gorgeous big veiltail. At first I wanted to designate one 75 gl for a couple of albino tiger oscars, but I can't get over the veiltails, and I am torn now on what to get!... :thud

Good luck with the breeding, and please, to get me addiction under control :rofl , a few pictures from the new girls? :please

Guest ed586

Yes, for you, I will get you that picture :lol:

I want the Philadelphia Veiltail the most because the Brits are gonna beat us! We need an all American Veiltail. Those Europeans think their so smart with all their veiltails! Hmmm.... just they wait.... :lol:

With 100 gallons Al said he would only have about 3 in there! Wow, but he never gets disease and its no wonder. I think if I had my own well, I would do exactly what he does with tons of water changes. I hope I can make some pretty fish anyways. We will see....

Archived