Who What When?

Guest hamstaman

Best snail: IMO if you want algae eaten you should get a mystery snail.. they usually sell gold and black mystery snails... These snails can and will grow to the size of a baseball if taken care of right... But they do not only eat algae they must be fed veggies every day (its most of their diet)

Another great snail is the so called "pest" snail Physa Acuta which is great at eating algae and beneficial biofilm that grows in the tank.. problem is they reproduce like rabbits, are hard to get rid of, goldies eat them (keeping the pop of them down) but they only grow around 1 cm at full grown..

Cost: very cheap..1.99 - 2.99 CDN

Introducing: Same as you would to goldies.. let them adjust to the water and introduce them slowly..

Ask any more q's u have

Ramy

Hey, thanks! I want a small snail that doesn't reproduce alot, and grows to about 3 cm at most (baseball is too big! lol) Yeah maybe something the size of a cherry or something...Are there any like that?

Guest hamstaman

Well you can get 2 male mystery snails.. so that way tehy never reproduce... mine are the size of golfballs.. i guess it depends how big the tank is so that is really what influences them to grow..There was a thread about a snail called the Malaysian Trumpet Snail... i dont think it grows that big...let me find it for you...

Ramy

Ok, Im thinking of getting 2 male mystery snails like you said, but how can you tell if they're male or female? And what types of veggies can you feed them? Do they need a certain amount of room like goldfish do? And do they take away from the room that the goldfish have? Thanks for the help! :lol:

Guest hamstaman

A great link that pheonixx posted up.. to sex snails...

http://www.tronchaser.com/~cindi/ss.html

Veggies:

romaine lettuce

cucumber

carrots

peas

any fruits

any other veggies lol

THEESE GUYS AREN'T PICKY!!! haha

I think they need 1-2.5 gallons each to live happily and i find mine help my goldie alot.... they eat his uneaten food, his poop and they clean off all the algae

no they shouldn't take room away... theyre always on the ground or tank walls.. how could they!? lol

Might i suggest get a black and gold mystery snail so u have some more colour in the tank:)

If they do reproduce, they lay eggs above the water, and you can just scrape them off and throw them in the trash. Or send them to someone, I know someone who will take all clutches.

Mystery snails/P. Bridgesii (same thing) only eat algae when presented with nothing else edible! They only eat algae as a last resort to keep from starving.

Guest hamstaman

lol black and gold mystery snails... i actaully grow algae for them on some ornaments since they love it sooooooooooooo much... they also loooove lettuce, cucumbers, biofilm haha lol.. annnnnnnddddddddd... FISH POOP...belive it lol

Archived