Not Sure What's Going On...

eather.hey

Okay, here's the short version. Got a fish as a present w/ ich. Q-ed for oh, about a month before introducing to my tank. One day he shows up with this hole in the side of his body. I figured it was an injury, scratched up against something, ya know. I figured I'd let that heal naturally rather than medicate right away, I kept the water pristine (I didn't add salt b/c of my cory). The hole/abbrasion looked like it was healing, white skin, scales starting to grow back, ect. Then today, about a week later, I look and the whole area is covered in white fuzz. Did he get fungus because of the open wound? Was the original wound an ulcer? Are my other fish at risk now? I've read how to treat for fungus so I guess it's back to the Q-tank. (My betta is gonna be peeved, because he moved into the 10 gallon hospital tank after the goldie was all better...back to the 2 gallon for Juju, poor guy) Should I treat the whole tank for fungus or just treat the one fish. Also, can someone describe what it looks like in their own words? Here's what I see...the spot is about the size of pinky fingernail, completely white and furry (kinda like when a sinking pellet starts to rot, and gets that white fuzz) The fish is not acting weird at all and all my params are tip-top except for my low pH, which is always really low, 6.4)

Thanks guys!

If theres no fungus anywhere else then I would say to treat him in the QT tank b/c you dont want to stress everyone else out and I doubt anyone else will get fungus since it was prolly caused from a wound.

Oh btw~ next time you see a wound you should dab it with some neosporin everyday until it heals :)

Conditions are getting worse. I moved him to the q-tank. I bought iodine swabs and swabbed the spot which I've now noticed is a perfect circle (which makes me wonder, hole-in-the-head?) I'm using melafix and pimafix (they claim they can be used together). The fuzzyness comes and goes, I think it might be falling off on it's own and then growing back the next day. Today it was there and I swabbed with iodine and some of the fuzz came off. After swabbing I noticed that the fish was acting a little weird. He's either floating at the top of the water or in the middle of the tank looking face down. He's not swimming much at all. I also just noticed that the medigold that I fed him earlier is still on the bottom of the tank and this fish never misses food! Also I've noticed that his slime coat looks a little odd. This may be from me holding him to put the iodine on, but it doesn't look right...almost like he's gonna get ich or something, kinda thick and stringy. He's mostly black (a moor turned 1/2 orange), so it's easy to notice. Any ideas? Has anyone ever seen hole in the head or ulcers? I'm still not even sure what this is and I'm not even 100% sure that it's fungus either.

Thanks!!!!

Archived