Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

A Little Update On Ping The Koi

I just reread through the back threads, and I came across my post back in January, about finding the little white koi in with the fancies.

He was less than 2" when I got him.

He is getting big! I'd say at least 5" now. I didn't notice much growth the first month (due to stress I think) but he has really taken off now. He is a chubber. :lol:

I want to take him to the pond at the zoo (I do not have an outdoor pond). But I was told their big fish would eat him?! They have HUGE fish there, really big koi and commons. So I am supposed to bring him next year.

Would the big fish really eat him when he is 5" or a bit more in length? In fairness, these fish are huge, but I didn't think of them using him for lunch!

He is happy in the indoor pond, but I think he would like a bigger one, with more friends, and natural sunlight, bugs to eat, mud to dig in etc. (He has two shubunkins for friends).

I will post some pictures of "before" and "now" when I come back on Tuesday or Wednesday.

You will be suprised!

Jessica

Guest Shiari

Once he reaches 7 or 8 inches, he should be safe enough to go in with them. My own Kyou just hit 9 this last month. *dies* he's a monster. I can't wait to see pics of Ping! He must be gorgeous!

Thanks Shiari!

Do you have pictures of your monster fish? They have really grown, eh!! If you have pics, I'd love to see yours as well.

Do you suppose if he hits 7-8" later this summer, that I could put him in with the big fish, or should I wait until spring? I will have to video tape his "release" and I will probably cry like an idiot :rofl

Thanks

Jessica

Guest Shiari

if he manages it during the summer, go ahead. And I have a surefire way of getting him that big in just a couple months, if you don't mind looking into a tank and going "He's not going to be able to turn around soon!". *g*

I'd have pictures of all my guys, if I could just find the connector for the camera to go into the computer. ;_; I have a wonderful digicam... and no way of getting photos online! :cry1

oh jess, your such a tease! :lol: here i was, all ready to click on a link to a pic of ping and you havent posted it yet! oh well, i can be patient. ill bet hes growing up very nicely.

remember when you could see his "guts"? :lol

paul

Im sure the zoo told you that just incase because it is very possible

great to hear he is don't well.

Can't wait for pictures???? lol any way thanks for the update :P

Here is the "before"

Look really hard in the bottom corner and you will see him.

I don't have a ruler or anything for reference, but these pics were taken in the same tub, with the same camera/zoom from the same distance heehee.

I forgot how little he was!

I forgot to link the picture haahaa.

PS Shiari, what is the magic growth secret? ;) I tried the brine shrimp because I heard that is good for them, but he hates it!

Jessica

post-9-1087956524.jpg

Edited by JessicaandMarshall

Wow, he looks great!! What a change! At 5 inches I dont think the others will eat him, no matter how big he is. My tiny common jumped out of his container into my 100 gallon with the big fish when he was about 2" (every one else is 4-8" in there) and no one has bothered him at all.

Thanks Jsrtist! :D

The reason I was told to wait, is because some of the pond fish are approximately 2.5 feet. I don't have a pond and have never grown a fish out to it's full size yet, so I really had no clue what size they would eat.

I'm glad to hear that he will be fine. I don't want to let him go, but I do want to let him go LOL. I know he will be much happier!

Jessica

I just saw this fish in my lps - I thought it was beautiful. You are lucky to have such a pretty fish!

Jenn

aww he grew so much, what a pretty color! hehe id cry too..tears of happiness and sadness!

I CANT wait til the day my koi get HUGE! the biggest is prolly around 8 inches, and my pond goldies are a lil smaller too.

Guest Shiari

Oh... he's GORGEOUS!!!! I'm actually glad you mentioned giving him to the zoo and such. I'm going to start searching the japanese gardens and nearby zoos so that I may put my koi there too. *huggles you and ping*

:P thanks for the picture wow what a change!

he is a lovely little guy great pictures.

Once he reaches 7 or 8 inches, he should be safe enough to go in with them. My own Kyou just hit 9 this last month. *dies* he's a monster. I can't wait to see pics of Ping! He must be gorgeous!

glad to see you back, shirari XD and wow 9" is amazing for your koi! mine are 6 or 7 inches and growing real slow cause they refuse to eat much :( I give em pellets and all the goldies gobble them gladly but the koi mostly ignore that, sometimes quickly darting and eating a couple of those. as for shrimp, they grab a couple bites but in general seem disinterested in eating :( I am gonna give mine away to a better home with a pond or at least a huge tank and stick to just goldies

Wow!! Ping has really grown! What a neat fish! I once gave away a huge comet to someone with a pond. :cry1

But I think a pond is better for the really big ones and Koi of course. :)