The Naughty Snail Laid Eggs!

Erika

So my apple snail is a she for sure. Ive been noticing taht she's been hanging out above the water line, and I looked in today, and I saw what looked like a raspberry stuck to the tank out of the water, and then I was like "OHHH".... eggs! They're gross looking.

Congrats on your 1st clutch I have been watching and waiting for mine to hatch for 2 weeks now..I cant wait for the babys to arrive..are you going to remove them or leave them there and spray..oohh no I just noticed my female is laying them again ..this is clutch number 4 LOL I think I need to buy more tanks :o

Well, I accidently knocked the bunch of eggs off the tank wall when I was doing a water change yesterday. My reaction of course was "Oh #@&! !" and as the fsih were eating them, I scooped the big group of them out of the tank:yikes and put em in a tupperware container. So my question now is.... what do I do with them???

Tupperware container is fine..slightly damp kitchen roll on the bottom of the tub..lay the clutch on it...then with another damp but not wet piece of kitchen roll make like a little tent over the top of the clutch...make sure there are air holes in the lid..and keep it somewhere warm..I float mine in the tank...get a piece of polystyrene..cut a hole in it...pop the tub in..oohh yes one more important thing..make sure the tub is small...not like a lunch box or margerine size{clutch will get to much air}like the size you may put a small amount of sugar to take to work....hope this helps..Linda

PS I dropped my clutch in the water too...freinds on apple snail asure me as long as it is only briefly they should be ok :D

Thank you! I'm assuming that "kitchen roll" is a paper towel?? The tupperware I have em in is about the size of a pop can, maybe a little smaller. Like a cigarette pack if ya know how big those are. It probably holds a cup and a half of sugar, water, whatever. I have the eggs in that but I need a moist paper towel on the bottom, and one draped over top, right? Ok. I don't even know what I'm gonna do with these snails if/when they hatch, but I feel pretty bad about dropping them in the tank. Does anyone know if apple snails lay unfertilized eggs? Or if there's eggs, are they fertilized? I don't have a male snail, but I just got this female not too long ago, and I heard that they can hold sperm in their bodies for a long time. So I'm assuming she was pregnant when I got her, or she jsut recently "impregnated herself".

LOL yes paper towel...I forget we call them different things in the UK..US..tupperware container size sounds fine..paper towel tent...keeps moisture around the eggs without them getting soggy..your eggs may be infertile..sometimes young lady snails need a few tries at it..others get it right 1st time..time will tell..yes looks like your snail had the sperm stored up to 6 months I have heard..now another question Errrika when you said raspberry did you mean the shape...what colour are they..pink=brigs...orange=cana..also if this clutch is fertile it could yeild anywhere from a few babys to 600 if you dont want the clutchs just pop on to applesnail.net and give the folks there a shout..someone will take them off you for the price of shipping..Linda

Yes a Pomacea bridgesii is a apple snail with the colour of the eggs you described thats what she sounds like..a Pomacea canaliculata is much bigger and has orange eggs if you would like to know more take a look at applesnail.net and compare the species...another 2 clutches oohh dear she has been busy..Linda

Good luck errrika1979,just remember this is very important to keep the eggs moist.You can always keep the snails for cleaners or give all

of them away to the pet store or a place or sell them or you can keep half of them just anyway i hope they hatch :P

Well the two clutches she laid the other night, I'm just leaving them where they are. I figure I'll let nature take care of it. If the fish eat em, well, that's the way it'll be. I still have the first batch in the tupperware, keeping them moist, etc. How long does it take for them to hatch?

Man, has anyone else actually WATCHED them lay eggs? It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Her body was like a slimy conveyor belt!!

Archived