Question About "stars"

eather.hey

Just wondering...out of my nine goldies, I know for sure that 3 of them are males because of their breeding stars. I know that 2 are females, because all three "proven" males chase the poor girls all the time. That leaves me with 4 fish that I'm not 100% certain on there sex. A few of these fish both chase and get chased...are they just confused? If they were males would they def. have stars?? Or do they sometimes not get them. The "questionable" fish are actually some of my largest goldfish...and I know they are old enough to breed, if they were males would they have stars? Do moors get stars too?

I'm not really looking to breed, but I'm just curious on the sex of these goldies.

how old are these fish? if they are over a year or so old then you can tell the sex by looking at their anuses. simply, males have innys, females have outys :)

Yeah, I know that trick too. But awhile ago I bought a big calico oranda that I thought for sure was a girl, but after introducing it to my tank, it chased the girls doing the spawning dance. And I thought for sure that it had an outty. And this oranda doesn't have stars, that's one of the reasons I was confused.

shes probably asserting her position in the tank then. keep an eye on her to see if she starts getting a bit too rough with the others. if its an outy then it is definately a girl :)

Archived